1 - 20 of 27 Posts

Registered
Maybe the NY forum can help.

Banned Sock Puppet

Registered
There is gravel on the Island?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
There's not a lot of established (mapped) routes, just a lot of places to explore that are good on a gravel bike. Edgewood Preserve on Commack Rd. has a 5.5 mile marked loop, white blazes, and 15 miles of single track (sections 1-2-3-4-7-10) , a lot would be good on a gravel with 45mm tires and good handling skills. Edgewood Oak Brush Plains State Forest. Free permit required, theres a link on the site.

Also Manorville Hills County Park, Rt 111. Lots of unmarked dirt roads in the area.

Bethpage State Park and Trailview State Park (south of the LIE) are good on a gravel bike.

Lots of info and maps for these areas on the CLIMB website - Home of CLIMB - Concerned Long Island Mountain Bicyclists

Also check out GravelMap and TrailForks

Registered
There's not a lot of established (mapped) routes, just a lot of places to explore that are good on a gravel bike. Edgewood Preserve on Commack Rd. has a 5.5 mile marked loop, white blazes, and 15 miles of single track (sections 1-2-3-4-7-10) , a lot would be good on a gravel with 45mm tires and good handling skills. Edgewood Oak Brush Plains State Forest. Free permit required, theres a link on the site.

Also Manorville Hills County Park, Rt 111. Lots of unmarked dirt roads in the area.

Bethpage State Park and Trailview State Park (south of the LIE) are good on a gravel bike.

Lots of info and maps for these areas on the CLIMB website - Home of CLIMB - Concerned Long Island Mountain Bicyclists

Also check out GravelMap and TrailForks
Is this stuff more sand than gravel? Like our Pine Barrens? I ride a ton of sand, but not on a gravel rig. We have some dirt roads around me but not enough to have a bike dedicated to that terrain. I criss-cross those roads trail riding my mtb.

I can鈥檛 find the love of gravel. Yes, I don鈥檛 have much and don鈥檛 ride it much... But it looks dirty and awful. We have mtbs. I have been educated that there are huge gravel opportunities in other parts of the country. OK. Interesting. Do enough of it and welcome to bakers reality... I can鈥檛 imagine not having lung problems from sucking in huge plumes of dirt. And it鈥檚 just gross.

We will see over time. Road bikes aren鈥檛 going anywhere, while the market share may undulate, it has a steady following. Same for mtb. I鈥檓 interested in these discussions in three years from now?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Registered
There are some big pluses to gravel riding.
Usually 1% of traffic, so there really isn't much dust. If it is that busy that route is out. The biggest plus is the reduction in traffic and the 50% of the HS that are .... that go with that.

Registered
I can鈥檛 find the love of gravel. Yes, I don鈥檛 have much and don鈥檛 ride it much... But it looks dirty and awful. We have mtbs. I have been educated that there are huge gravel opportunities in other parts of the country. OK. Interesting. Do enough of it and welcome to bakers reality... I can鈥檛 imagine not having lung problems from sucking in huge plumes of dirt. And it鈥檚 just gross.

We will see over time. Road bikes aren鈥檛 going anywhere, while the market share may undulate, it has a steady following. Same for mtb. I鈥檓 interested in these discussions in three years from now?
You have some odd perceptions of what you think graveling is. How is it dirty and awful but MTBing isn't? I suppose doing huge events like what Dirty Kanza was could kick up lots of dust.

I think road bike market share is going down, not undulating. Gravel bikes take away some of it, and it also takes some from MTBs - those that don't quite want to road ride and those that don't quite want to mountain bike. Our shop sells a lot of Checkpoints.

I used to do over 3k miles a year, and 80% of that was on road. Now I do less than half that distance, but only a third of the miles are on the road. The rest is probably half MTB and half gravel. I don't like cars and distracted drivers. I haven't ridden directly from my house in seven years, and there are a lot of roads that I no longer dare to ride on. I know a lot of people that feel like I do - some of them Zwift to compensate, but I haven't had that urge. I suppose that will keep a few road bike sales.

Opus was just napping
It is a rare day my road bike leaves the trainer. Almost 100% of all my riding is on my mtb or gravel bike.
My mileage has dropped, but my time on bikes has gone up.

Registered
I guess I just don鈥檛 have whatever鈥檚 surfaces you have... Unpaved roads where I am are dirt and stone. Typically, it鈥檚 rutted from horses and it has trenches from rain wash. It鈥檚 closer to mtb than road, albeit, wider tire gravel bikes would be fine. I have ridden road bikes over that stuff, just not in many years. I ride that on my mtb now as those roads connect great mtb trails. I just can鈥檛 see why there would be gravel roads a plenty, especially where it snows. Gravel is awful to plow. More power to ya if that鈥檚 what you like.

Opus was just napping
As an example, just 20 minutes from me is a state park that has a bike and bridle trail, next to that is a group of easy singletrack trails (minus the flow section), on my 650b wheels I can do both areas and spend a long time out there and never have to worry about a car, because except for one half mile section, they ain't allowed. This is in the heart of Raleigh.

Registered
Is this stuff more sand than gravel? Like our Pine Barrens? I ride a ton of sand, but not on a gravel rig. We have some dirt roads around me but not enough to have a bike dedicated to that terrain. I criss-cross those roads trail riding my mtb.

Some sand, not a ton. These are mostly old 2 track dirt roads. Edgewood is all former roads used when it was a psychiatric center, I've never ridden Manorville. Bethpage and Trailview is all hard dirt unless a recent rain, them soft dirt or mud.

Banned Sock Puppet

Registered
Sure, on the Long Island Railroad!!!

But seriously, why are you looking for gravel roads in the near suburbs of the biggest city in the nation? You're probably more likely to find a rodeo there.....
I live 8 miles from Lower Manhattan. The dirt roads we have are home to multi-million dollar estates. No gravel as described by others near me.

Banned Sock Puppet

Registered
8 miles? I thought you were a South Jersey/Pine Barrens guy.
No, Sandy Hook. I鈥檓 on the bay side. We have Sea Streak ferries all over the place. They make the run to Wall St like 40 minutes. I鈥檓 close to the Highlands. Lots of short steep climbing. I鈥檓 very close to Red Bank.

Banned Sock Puppet
No, Sandy Hook. I鈥檓 on the bay side. We have Sea Streak ferries all over the place. They make the run to Wall St like 40 minutes. I鈥檓 close to the Highlands. Lots of short steep climbing. I鈥檓 very close to Red Bank.
Ahhh, so you're near the twin lights?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts