Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Face palm. Silly design and bad engineering. Three parallel tubes with the same weight as one properly designed tube will be much less rigid. Or, a properly designed single tube of the same rigidity will be lighter.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Face palm. Silly design and bad engineering. Three parallel tubes with the same weight as one properly designed tube will be much less rigid. Or, a properly designed single tube of the same rigidity will be lighter.
But it won't look as cool! Don't you get it? Bling is a more reliable than performance for selling overpriced things to your average middle aged guy with too much money to spend.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are we going to get all the armchair engineers to chime in now?

Do you own one?

You do realize these have been over a year in development and are in the process of receiving certification as one of the lightest and stiffest crank sets on the market...?

Just sayin, enjoy the picture. I'll have a follow up review in the coming weeks and if you search around some of the other forums will already see reviews indicating they are the real deal. Hopefully my experience is on par with others. I'm looking forward to it and applaud another smaller US based company at its creation for our sport.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
But it won't look as cool! Don't you get it? Bling is a more reliable than performance for selling overpriced things to your average middle aged guy with too much money to spend.
He'd be faster if he spent that money on a coach and trained. I guess many will always think you can buy speed.

If you like how your bike looks....................cool, I guess. But if you are looking at it riding..................you crash.

If you look at your bike in the garage...............you're not riding.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So grumpy. You must ride a steel frame with index shifters?

I think they wont be any less reliable then the 1200g frame, 1500g carbon clinchers and the battery that powers a derailleur.

I'm sure the product will market very well to your generalized demographic. Weight weenies and tech heads will rejoice and poor college students on fixed bikes can complain, its the way of the world :)

Lighten up, its just bike parts.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Ted acknowledged the torsional stress skepticism on bikeradar. Supposedly by design it's the end pins themselves that deal with it as opposed to the bonding interface. It's very hard to imagine unless we looked at a graphical stress analysis - which I'd love to see because I can't tell if the integrity is by inflated specification or actually by design.

Supposedly a single CF bar was really hard to bend in the first place, so twisting it would be quite the challenge.

·
Velocipediologist
1,562 Posts
You do realize these have been over a year in development and are in the process of receiving certification as one of the lightest and stiffest crank sets on the market...?
Your a dealer of Zero G / Gravitas components right? Your honest, unbiased opinion and feedback would be most appreciated. However not very likely.

Certified by who exactly? Is this some new service being offered up by NASA?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Since when does development time have anything to do with quality or sound engineering? This is marketing driven design. Good luck with your sales of it, I'm sure the cranks have healthy margins.

·
Registered
65 Posts
He'd be faster if he spent that money on a coach and trained. I guess many will always think you can buy speed.

If you like how your bike looks....................cool, I guess. But if you are looking at it riding..................you crash.

If you look at your bike in the garage...............you're not riding.
What middle aged guy cares about speed? It all about looks! Most of those expensive Porsches never get to crank out all their horsepower. They all just sit in a garage and look pretty.

338 Posts
Since when does development time have anything to do with quality or sound engineering? This is marketing driven design. Good luck with your sales of it, I'm sure the cranks have healthy margins.
Actually, you're wrong. Dead wrong. It's not the original design. This one allows more weight reduction and more stiffness. They're also testing a sl version with two tubes on each side instead of 3. In the end I find it butt ugly and they're only about 12-16 weeks late (Ted tends to be really bad at that kind of stuff), my current crankset is about 40-50g lighter and much cheaper, but its a big change in design and its nice to see something different.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
I was reading these will be stiffer than dura ace cranks. Which is great because when you see guys like Cavendish turning dura ace it's pretty obvious these will meet the extra stiffness needs of middle age weekend warriors on the Internet.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Very interesting, not my style, but still cool. I would second the slightly clunky appearance, but I will wait to see them installed and then take a second look.

Still cool, thanks very much for sharing.

Bill

·
Registered
261 Posts
That crank looks great I hope it ends up being ultra stiff too.
I love the way Ted pushes the envelope. I have the zg gravitas brakes. They are super cool looking on my new bike. And yes it is about bling. Everything I've read about these carbon brakes say they are better then the brakes I had before TRP 970SL those brakes work great but Teds are allot lighter wow. Keep pushing Ted and I'll keep buying.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.