Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
So. Calif.
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to split this off from the thread "Grease for Campag Hubs".

I just received a small vial of Shimano # Y3B980000, "Special Grease for Freehub Body 50g" and I think it will be an excellent choice for lubricating shifter body internals. Priced around $12 @ Amazon.

I'd guess it's around NLGI-1 consistency, thinner than toothpaste, but not as thin as Shimano # Y04180000 "SP41 special grease" for cable housing. The latter might be an NLGI-0 grease.

The Freehub Body grease is a very light tan color, creamy, and non-tacky. Who knows, maybe it's even re-packaged Kluber NB52.

I typically use heavy SAE 80 oil for lubing freehub pawls, but might give this Shimano grease a try.

I think Freehub Body grease is too light for uses such as wheel hub, crank, or headset bearings.
The bright green Dura-Ace grease # Y04110000 / Y04110200 seems a good choice for that, and also other good options for hub bearings.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,806 Posts
I've never had to take any of my Campy shifters apart (except for the old school DT shifter) and never had to lube them. When I used Shimano they would gum up all the time and I would hose them with WD 40 but never with Campy. I suppose if I felt the need to lube from the outside I would use Boeshield T9 or Wd 40.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Decided to split this off from the thread "Grease for Campag Hubs".

I just received a small vial of Shimano # Y3B980000, "Special Grease for Freehub Body 50g" and I think it will be an excellent choice for lubricating shifter body internals. Priced around $12 @ Amazon.

I'd guess it's around NLGI-1 consistency, thinner than toothpaste, but not as thin as Shimano # Y04180000 "SP41 special grease" for cable housing. The latter might be an NLGI-0 grease.

The Freehub Body grease is a very light tan color, creamy, and non-tacky. Who knows, maybe it's even re-packaged Kluber NB52.

I typically use heavy SAE 80 oil for lubing freehub pawls, but might give this Shimano grease a try.

I think Freehub Body grease is too light for uses such as wheel hub, crank, or headset bearings.
The bright green Dura-Ace grease # Y04110000 / Y04110200 seems a good choice for that, and also other good options for hub bearings.
I've rebuilt and repaired my Record 10 shifters twice. I used Finish Line lithium grease (white stuff) that seemed to best match viscosity and consistency of the factory grease. I've ridden in 90+ and Sub-Zero temps and it performs well.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts