Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have this problem when lubing Speedplay pedals? (Mine are X2s)

When I inject the grease, it starts to push out the black plastic cap with the grease port and most of the grease squirts out around the rim of the black cap. Not at the grease port where the little screw goes, but around the outside of the plug where it goes into the pedal. Eventually, I get some grease through the pedal and it comes out on the inboard side, around the axle, but about ten times as much grease squirts out on the outboard side.

Grease is a lot cheaper than bearings or new pedals, so I don't mind this, but it would be nice to be able to lube the pedals without making such a mess.

·
Los Barriles, BCS, Mexico
1,456 Posts
Fredke said:
Does anyone else have this problem when lubing Speedplay pedals? (Mine are X2s)

When I inject the grease, it starts to push out the black plastic cap with the grease port and most of the grease squirts out around the rim of the black cap. Not at the grease port where the little screw goes, but around the outside of the plug where it goes into the pedal. Eventually, I get some grease through the pedal and it comes out on the inboard side, around the axle, but about ten times as much grease squirts out on the outboard side.

Grease is a lot cheaper than bearings or new pedals, so I don't mind this, but it would be nice to be able to lube the pedals without making such a mess.
Here's what it says on the Speedplay FAQ:
I am having difficulty injecting grease into my pedals through the grease port. What should I do?
Apply pressure to the grease gun when inserting the injector tip into the grease port. Be sure to inject the grease very, very slowly. Turning the pedal body on the spindle while injecting grease will help the grease make its way through

You could also take the the pedals apart and apply grease that way.

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
Hmmmmm

Fredke said:
When I inject the grease, it starts to push out the black plastic cap with the grease port and most of the grease squirts out around the rim of the black cap. Not at the grease port where the little screw goes, but around the outside of the plug where it goes into the pedal.
If you are saying that the cap actually is pushed from the pedal, then it sounds like you're injecting the grease too fast. If the cap is staying in place and this is happening, then it sounds like time for a new cap.

·
Cowboy up
3,886 Posts
I had that exact thing happen. Perhaps it was from injecting too fast but the grease needs some pressure to go through the pedal. Turning the pedals should help. I used my thumb and finger to keep pressure on two edges of the black cap where the grease was leaking out to plug the leak. It helped somewhat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts