Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a new 7800 DA crankset a couple weeks ago and I didn't grease the splines on the axle where the non-drive crankarm connects. In the instructions from Shimano they make no mention of greasing this interface, but I've always thought if it was a splined interface it should have a light coat of grease? Got to thinking about it the other day on a ride when I was getting a slight ticking sound at a certain point of the crank revolution. Should it be lubed? What have other people with hollowtech II/ GXP/other outboard bearing BB-crank set-ups done? Thanks!

· Registered
90 Posts
Hi there, I'm not a pro bike mechanic, first off, but I do all my own stuff. Upon a inpection of my 7800 crank set I found a light coat of grease and reappied the same durring assembly. I checked the shimano site and found no recomendations, I can't see where this would get us in trouble in this application. Hope this is helpfull, kind of curious what the wenches say. All the best -- Bill

· Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I thought I'd post a follow up. I pulled off the non-drive crank arm and slathered on some grease and reinstalled the arm. Totally took care of my little click I was having. So I guess it still holds true, if it's splined --> grease it. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.