Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just used it on my bb, and wonder if anyone else successfully used teflon on their pedal threads? It seems like it worked really nicely. Anyone have problems with doing so?
I'm trying to isolate a creak/tick!!!

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
jhamlin38 said:
I just used it on my bb, and wonder if anyone else successfully used teflon on their pedal threads? It seems like it worked really nicely. Anyone have problems with doing so?
I'm trying to isolate a creak/tick!!!
Use grease. Teflon will displace over time and under load, and create rather than solve problems.

Why did you use teflon tape on the BB? Does it contain high-pressure gas you are trying to contain? :) All I'm saying is, right tool for job, and this ain't it. Sure, it'll hush a creak for a while, but not nearly as well or as long as doing the job correctly.

Because of the dimensions involved, the BB shortcut will treat you better than it will on the pedals, but it's still only a stopgap measure.

·
Super Moderator
41,445 Posts
I was always taught the tape was for plumbing, and the PTFE goo was for gas lines.

·
Registered
87 Posts
i use a compound from loctite for my pneumatic and hydraulic fittings because it doesn't ruin the expensive servovalves. I use Phil Wood grease as an ultrasonic couplant, because it doesn't move around when you vibrate it.

Sorry, wrong subject. I would use grease on pedals. Never had it fail. I would also think about taking the crank back out and putting grease on that.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I use anti-seize compound. Just a habit, I guess, when threading dis-similar metals.

Lou.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
My first choice is a graphite anti seize paste I got at a plumbing supply store called Never Seize.

My second choice is a synthetic grease, never a petroleum based grease, breaks down and hardens and starts binding.

·
Unsafe at Any Speed
456 Posts
Neither.

Use anti-seize compound - usually copper-based, designed for joint between dissimilar metals.

Petroleum jelly is also an option, where similar metals are joined.

Grease is way overrated for anti-seize application. Many types will absorb water and allow corrosion.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.