Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
The Specialized Tarmac and Roubaix, and the Trek Madone Performance fit are the stock carbon frames with the tallest head tubes, AFAIK. Very tall riders may be limited by Trek's seat mast system, but Speccy still uses a standard 27.2 post.

I've got very long legs (38 7/8" inseam) and short torso for my height. I don't like to run more than about 10cm of drop, so my steerer tubes have to be at least 30cm (with inverted stem). I had Curtlo build a custom compact steel frame for me in '03, with a 24cm HT and 59cm TT, 42cm chainstays, and 73 deg HA for stability. We also used a stiff all-carbon Alpha Q Z (Zinn) Pro fork. It's a great bike, but just slightly lacking in front-end stiffness at very high speeds. My SL Pro with 1.5" tapered steerer is a rock, but a bit twitchy with the 74deg HA.

I just found a used Parlee Z3 Custom with their XL (stiffest) tubeset, that was built with nearly identical geometry to my Curtlo. I'm hoping that it will combine the good qualities of both of my other frames, without the bad. I should know next weekend.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.