Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past Wednesday, its 6:30am and I'm about a mile into my commute and I get a flat. I'm there fixing it and the regular morning bike club riders that I greet most mornings on my way in goes by and a bunch ask if I'm all set. I was, but I'm sure any one of them would have stopped if I had asked.

Half an hour later, pffffff.... Flat #2! I'm there scratching my head because now I don't have a spare tube or a patch kit and what am I going to do? A guy, going the other way, sees me and asks if I am all set? I explain what's up and he hands over his spare. I was short on cash to pay him for it and he says, "no worry, pass it on to the next guy" and heads off.

Minutes later I realize his tube has a short stem and I need a longer one for my deeper rims. I'm back scratching my head and this young woman on her single speed stops and asks if I need anything? I tell her my story and she says she has these quick patches of which she gives me one and off she heads.

I get everything back together, head off myself and not more than 100 yards the tube goes flat. This time, the patch didn't hold. I thought I cleaned the area, but didn't. More head scratching is going on and I decide to put my bike of the local bus and take it a mile or so up the road to where there are a couple of bike shops on the off chance that maybe someone is working. None were open. I then call my wife who would be coming into work and ask her to bring me a spare from home.

While I'm waiting for her, the guy that gave me his tube came back by and I was able to give him his tube back. A couple more bikers on their way to work asked if I was all set.

While I could lament the bummer of three flats (the two tubes and the patch...) in one ride, I couldn't help but feel good about all bikers who stopped to offer a hand. Two days later, I'm still :) .

· Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts
I really learned that on the MTB trails. I end up giving and taking a fair amount. I've only had to give on the road/MUT, but it still feels good to know that you've helped someone out. I even managed to get a crank bolt back in, for a guy on a walmart bike, so that he could get home.

· Registered
289 Posts
A couple of weeks ago on a DC MUT I was flagged down by a roadie that had a flat but no pump. We took turns airing it up with my mini and got him on his way. Everyone that passed offered to help or had a kind word to say. Life's not so bad, even for a MUT rider! Good story roadload, thanks for posting.

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
normalnorm said:
What goes around, comes around. Ive been in the same situation, lending and borrowing. Great story and glad to hear that some people still care about others.
:thumbsup: Exactly! :thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.