Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
You talking to me?
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Actually it's been nice all week. I decided to go for a ride at lunch today since I needed my car for work earlier in the day and couldn't commute via bicycle.

Started at the south end of Lake Union and rode up and over Queen Anne to Magnolia. Nice wide streets and with a nice view no less.

·
You talking to me?
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Did a nice tour through Discovery Park. This used to be Fort Lawton until the government gave part of it to the City and park to the local Native American tribe.

·
You talking to me?
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hiram M Chittenden Locks facilitates marine navigation from Puget Sound to Lake Union / Lake Washington

·
You talking to me?
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Had to wait about 10 - 15 minutes for a couple of boats coming from Puget Sound. Lake level is at the top of the gates in front of the big boat.

·
Roll Out Jeremy
1,785 Posts
I went to QA high School

Your touring around in my old stomping grounds. I'll be commuting home today via Lake Washington Blvd. Maybe we can hook up one of these days.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ah, home...

well, actually I'm a bellevue kid, but I've done a lot of riding around there. My sister is an SPU student. My dad has been saying how nice it's been to ride after a pretty gloomy few weeks, although temps here in the bay area are darn close to 70, so I'm not really that envious. Still, it reminds me why I want to move back after this five year california college experience.

·
You talking to me?
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Once all the boats are inside the gates, they close them (in process here) and let water in until the water level is equal with the lake level.

Just outside the locks is the Lockspot. They sponsered a softball team I used to play for.

·
You talking to me?
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finished the loop with a ride along the navigation channel that cut from Lake Union to the Locks / Puget Sound and then into the traffic again and across the Freemont bridge.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hey, you went right past my house in Magnolia! If you're up for it, I'm doing the Cascade ride tomorrow that meets at Tracy Owen Station at 10 a.m. Maybe I'll see you there. I'll look for your Colnago. I'll be the one vomiting on the first hill.

·
You talking to me?
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unfortunately I've got a little thing to do called "work" tomorrow. Then again... it wouldn't be the first time I missed......

Bryan

·
Registered
64 Posts
You [email protected]!

I've been gazing at the sun from Harborview all day. 30 hours of General Surgery call won't let me out until it'll be raining tomorrow at noon.

oh well, glad somebody enjoyed it.

Is there a list of Seattle group rides online somewhere?

Thanks.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Go to cascade.org for the Cascade Bike Club's group rides. Raining or not, I'll be doing one tomorrow.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Yeah . . . .

I have been stuck all day in my office on in the U.S. Bank Centre downtown. Fortunately, I commute from Seward Park and saw the sunrise over Lake Washington and Mt. Rainer ths morning. Unfortunately, I will be riding home after dark. It is nice to see the sun!

·
All I wanted was a Pepsi!
5,351 Posts
OperaLover said:
I have been stuck all day in my office on in the U.S. Bank Centre downtown. Fortunately, I commute from Seward Park and saw the sunrise over Lake Washington and Mt. Rainer ths morning. Unfortunately, I will be riding home after dark. It is nice to see the sun!
I'm over in Bremerton and managed to commute twice this week (so far) and did a longer ride last Sunday. Normally my commutes are dark both ways, but today and bagged ass early and got home before full dark!

·
Registered
110 Posts
You guys should have bagged work today. It was a perfect day to ride -- about 50 degrees and not a drop of rain.

·
In Blue America
436 Posts
Shhh!!!

Don't let everyone see how beautiful it is around here! I like the ride you took - I also live in Magnolia. Good thing you avoided that hill up from the West Point treatment plant in Discovery Park.

I should have brought my camera with me on the way to work yesterday - from points along the way the views of both the Olympics and Cascades (especially Rainier) looked like the postcards.

·
You talking to me?
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I actually did leave work a bit early and get a ride in. Hopped on the bike about 2:45pm and did the loop around the south end of Lake Washington with a loop around Mercer Island thrown in for the heck of it. About 35 miles all together. It was a perfect temp for riding.

I would have made my 20mph average goal if it hadn't been the school bus on West Mercer Way stopping to let kids out. We played slinky half way down the Island. The bus would stop and then I would catch up and have to stop (or risk a ticket). It would then pull away only to have me catch up and have to stop the next time he was letting kids out. Oh well, I eeked out 19.8mph anyway, but 20 was my goal.

Now come the clouds and rain.... again

Bryan

·
Registered
110 Posts
TypeOne,

Sorry to do this in the forum, but your account isn't accepting email. Where in Magnolia do you live? I'm one block south of Discovery Park on a tiny street called McLaren.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks, B2. Even though I live here (and regularly bike a lot of these same roads), it's easy to forget how gorgeous it is when the sun's out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts