Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Growing Older, Not Up
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a great experience with seller pcacct04 on ebay. They had new Sidi Genius5s listed for $143 including shipping, a killer deal! Unfortunately, none of the listings were in my size so I contacted them about my size which they had. After way too many questions from me, I paid for the shoes on Saturday and they arrived today, brand new, perfect box, etc.
Before you say I'm a shill, I have no relation with the seller. When it comes to cycling stuff I've never been too thrilled with most ebayers so I wanted to commend excellent service that came at a great price. Looks like they have other miscellaneous cycling gear listed to check them out.

PS, if you look up my username on ebay you'll find mostly baby clothes for sale. :eek:

·
Registered
593 Posts
I've pretty much given up on eBay. It seems that most sellers sell the stuff for a low price but make their money by gouging you on the shipping and "handling." Sorry, if I'm buying something from a private party I don't think I should have to pay a "handling" fee. Especially if you pay $8 to $10 (or more) for s&h and you get the item and it cost the $3 to ship it. Glad you had a good experience though.

·
Tourist
989 Posts
Let's take for example a NEW Campy Record rear der. I sell it on ebay for $225 and gouge you $10 shipping. Taking this example 'cause I sold a bunch of these during the fall. Now, I pay EXACTLY $4.05 priority mail shipping, packaging cost is negligible (I reuse bubblewrap and boxes are free from the post office). Ebay charges me $4 for listing the auction, $6 as end of auction fees and paypal, which I accept for your enjoyment, charges me $6. I ship same day payment is received or next day, you get it 2/3 days later.

Now, look at stores:
- the best price you could find at the time was $239 from Performance, WHEN they had a sale. When they had a 20%, then the deal started to be interesting, but you had to be a bit lucky and wait to manage and combine. Add 7% tax + $11 shipping.
- shipping is random, sometimes they ship next day, sometimes a week later. Even when you are a team member. In this case, shipping from performance was usually late, these derailleurs were always backordered. If you need something for tomorrow send me an email and I'll express-mail it in one hour. With shops they will wait 2 days before processing the order, then express-mail it.

+ customer service from Performance is completely crappy. If you're not satisfied with what I sell, send it back and I'll refund your money.

Bottomline: If you can wait long enough, SOMETIMES you can get a better deal from the internet. If you want your item by saturday for this week-end race or ride, get it on ebay.

Pierre

·
Growing Older, Not Up
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To be fair, there are crappy sellers on ebay. Those who go way too far with shipping costs, take their sweet time to send your item, are generous with their idea of condition, and hide behind the feedback system. Hopefully they will get weeded out (ebay really needs to fix the feedback system to accomplish this).

The point is this seller was top notch. BTW, shipping was free for the shoes so they could have easily used parcel post but sent them priority.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
i usually put a general standard fee on all the items i list. this amount is stated in the description so that it is clearly understood. if the fee can cover priority mail i send priority if not the quickest way possible. i'll put one of those postage calculators next time, but i think i'm charged an added ebay fee for using it.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Not all sellers are gouging people and some will work with you on shipping if it seems too high.

I have a set of mint Look PP396 pedals (retail $179.99) with two sets of cleats ($16.00 each with one set brand new in package) and cleat covers ($12.00) on eBay right now with a opening bid of $79.99 or buy-it-now for $99.99 and I am giving free shipping and a cycling accessory for free.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Happy with my Specialized Roubaix Pro for $1900

I admit, you have to be careful with ebay, but I found a great deal for a 2005 Roubaix Pro from a bike shop. This $4400 bike cost me $1900, including shipping. Bike is in fantastic shape and was packed perfectly. Not a hint of buyer remorse. This is after I sold my 1976 Masi for a great price... on ebay. Along the way to this deal I was hit upon by a scammer. Take your time and be sure who you're dealing with as much as is possible.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,772 Posts
I don't find it that hard to just add the shipping when I comparison shop between e-bay vendors and other online retailers. So what if it doesn't really cost that much for the actual shipping!

I like Ebay.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
whit417 said:
I've pretty much given up on eBay. It seems that most sellers sell the stuff for a low price but make their money by gouging you on the shipping and "handling." Sorry, if I'm buying something from a private party I don't think I should have to pay a "handling" fee. Especially if you pay $8 to $10 (or more) for s&h and you get the item and it cost the $3 to ship it. Glad you had a good experience though.
Don't understand why people have a problem with shipping/handling. NEVER bid without knowing what it will be - subtract it from what you are willing to pay and that's your bid.

While we're here, I also don't understand why people have a problem with snipers. If you bid your maximum, nobody can take it away from you without bidding more.

TF

1 - 10 of 10 Posts