Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· In need of sock puppet
9,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was a fantastic two ride weekend. First ride? Just over a 100 miles, with 7000' feet up climbing. Climbs included Mtn. Charlie, Bean Creek, Glen Canyon, Valencia School Road, and Hazel Dell.

Second ride? A 17 mile spin with my wife and our two kids on Sunday afternoon. Up Bay Ave in Santa Cruz through UCSC, down the bike path, and along the coast of West Cliff. We stopped for ice cream at Marini's on the harbor.

My new fave ice cream treat? Vanilla Ice Cream "Drowned" in Espresso (Affogato al Caffè)
Tip of the hat to my sophisticated wifeypoo. :thumbsup:

1. The group crests Mt. Charlie
2. Mt. Charlie Summit view
3. Rolling through the harbor
4. Coop and Karen
5. Top of the UCSC bike path

· In need of sock puppet
9,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mohair_chair said:
No picture of the submarine house???
No; I failed - very few pictures at all. Do you know any back story on that house? I love it. They've got some new sculpture in the yard that I don't remember seeing before.

Other notable items I failed to get pics of?
- the cow hoof meat-sicle outside the rustic butchery off Elkhorn Slough Road
- the most agro hybrid driver ever
- the guy who completed the ride with a pinch of snuff in his mouth
- the drunk camo-clad gray haired lady at the Summit Market driving with a beer in her hand
- the deviled eggs I ate that emitted the most epic sulphurous gasses an hour later

MB1 said:
Sure looks like sweet weather.

As much as I love the riding around here I gotta admit that sometimes the weather leaves something to be desired.
It was perfect weather. On Saturday - a little bit of fog until about noon, then it warmed up to the low 70s. On Sunday, more of the same. We headed out around 2, and by the time we got to the wharf, the sun had warmed up everything so it was just right for ice cream.

· In need of sock puppet
9,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mohair_chair said:
Here's a good story about the submarine house: http://www.svcn.com/archives/lgwt/03.08.00/cover-0010.html

Mountain Charlie and Elkhorn Slough in the same ride? That sounds like an interesting ride. Hopefully you did the criminally steep climbs outside Prunedale, like Maher, Tustin, et al. They are pretty short, but those bastards hurt.
Thanks for that link to the submarine house - your google-fu is powerful. Proudly, I'm one of the cyclist that always marvels at the house as being absolutely perfect.

Most of the early part of the ride outside Elkhorn was new stuff for me - and I kept having to pee the whole time. So I'd stop, relieve myself, then sprint to catch back on. Damn prostate. We did some short steep stuff, but nothing that stands out as tougher than Valencia School. I need to find the sweat soaked route card to see what we did exactly.

· Sticky Valentine
28,415 Posts
Good times, Coop!

Can we do the 17 mile ice cream ride next time I'm in Santa Cruz? That sounds right up my alley.

joe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.