Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
midnight melon mounter
6,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you ride through the base? Not Fort Sheridan - Great Lakes.

I'm trying to get around the Amschutz Expressway, and from Google Earth it looks like I can duck into the Abbot campus and continue south through the base.

Thanks

·
Registered
246 Posts
Alex-in-Evanston said:
Can you ride through the base? Not Fort Sheridan - Great Lakes.

I'm trying to get around the Amschutz Expressway, and from Google Earth it looks like I can duck into the Abbot campus and continue south through the base.

Thanks
No, unless you have a military id or civilian clearance. This is a closed base.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Alex-in-Evanston said:
Thanks, thanks, and also thanks.
I was stationed there just over ten years ago. The southwestern portion of the base is strictly basic training. That is definitely a locked down portion of the base. There are only two or three parallel roads traveling to the border of Lake Forest. They are connected by several perpendicular roads.

The other portion of the base involves Navy training schools. There is an access road to the lake, but other than that there wouldn't be any roads worth riding. There is no bypassing North Chicago via the base. The gates let you out just north of Lake Forest and North Chicago.

The northern part of the base contains schools, hospitals, base exchange, McDonalds, and the e club.

I don't believe that some of the military housing that is just off of Green Bay road is locked down though, but that may have changed after 9/11.

I don't mind riding in North Chicago. I have never had any problems riding through there. There used to be a really cool guy that owned a local bike shop in North Chicago. He used to have a service that if you broke down, you could call him. He offered services to fix your bike or take you back to your car. In my case, my Campy chain broke, so he drove me back to my car.

It frustrates me that parts of Green Bay and Sheridan Roads are off limits to bikes. We always used to sprint the section of Sheridan Road just south of the base. I know when the North Shore Century rolls through, the officers are waiting for cyclist to attempt that, and they do write tickets. They basically force you to ride on the beat up trails through that section.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.