Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V4CQEGW/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

Just pick up this little bad boy to adjust and dial in the fit on my new supersix. This has 2-10NM measurements and includes most/all bits needed for a bike.

I just used it to lower my stem on my steerer fork and realized that 5NM is actually tigher than i thought it'd be.

Anyone else use this? What do u guys use for a torque wrench on your bikes?

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
I like Beam style torque wrenches for lower torque fasteners, nice choice!

·
Never Give Up!
1,232 Posts

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
I have a digital CDI/Snap On torque wrench for my bikes and car needs for the lower values, for upper values I have Tekton 1/2 and 3/8 sockets.

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,273 Posts
Several years ago, the company I was working at ordered a bunch of inexpensive, Chinese-made torque wrenches to use on the production floor. As the guy in charge of calibrating them, I found that not a single one was calibrated, and some were off by ±25%. Fully 1/3 of them would not accurately calibrate throughout their stated range, and were returned. Of the remaining 2/3, all broke within 1 year. After that, we never ordered cheap-sh!t torque wrenches again.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Several years ago, the company I was working at ordered a bunch of inexpensive, Chinese-made torque wrenches to use on the production floor. As the guy in charge of calibrating them, I found that not a single one was calibrated, and some were off by ±25%. Fully 1/3 of them would not accurately calibrate throughout their stated range, and were returned. Of the remaining 2/3, all broke within 1 year. After that, we never ordered cheap-sh!t torque wrenches again.
so what r u trying to say?

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Were they clicker or beam style?

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,813 Posts
Hmmm. These can't be any worse than my Park Tool torque wrench. It has worked fine for a few years, but now it has become obviously inaccurate torquing a lot higher than indicated.

Clicker is nice, but I'm inclined to think a beam style would be a better choice and less likely to go out of cal.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,813 Posts
Clicker type. What I'm trying to say is this: unless it comes with a calibration certificate, it's NOT calibrated.
And even then, they don't stay calibrated forever. Dropping it doesn't help either.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,813 Posts
So basically every clicker style torque wrench under $200 msrp and every beam style torque wrench is a fraud?
Keep in mind that a 25% error would mean that a 5nm reading could be anywhere from 3.75nm to 6.25nm. My guess is not many are this bad.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,813 Posts

·
Registered
9,603 Posts
Clicker type. What I'm trying to say is this: unless it comes with a calibration certificate, it's NOT calibrated.
You should have said that then.

Because what you actually said was that one single brand of cheapo wrench you ordered wasn't. And of course you would never make sweeping generalizations about everything based on a sample size of 1, right?

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
I agree, cheap clickers can be a problem. People use them as ratchets, drop them etc, not good. Beam type torque wrenches really don't get less calibrated with typical use which is why I prefer them for lighter loads. Higher loads it's difficult to read and apply torque, thats where a good clicker is useful IMHO.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,813 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Craftsman would be a good place to look....less expensive, calibrated, guaranteed, better built. You can't make chicken salad out of chicken ****, you know...
Link to craftsman torque wrench that works for a range of bike parts thats within 200% of the price of OP?

And about 90% of the bolts on a bike is <10NM. Are you saying the $25 one in the OP is **** for that?

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
So basically every clicker style torque wrench under $200 msrp and every beam style torque wrench is a fraud?
No, That is not true. You can get the cheaper models of the major brands, like CDI, which is a Snap On brand, some are sub 200, and come calibrated.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,813 Posts
No, That is not true. You can get the cheaper models of the major brands, like CDI, which is a Snap On brand, some are sub 200, and come calibrated.
Looking around, none of these are for small adjustments. They are all 20nm and higher.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts