Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They just finished cheese grating the pavment on New Vernon from the second bridge all the way down to the Meyersville Inn. My teeth are still rattlin! You've been warned :D

Finally repaving, gonna be sweet with new blacktop! Woot!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Oh, this will be great!

Ironically, I was out on a ride yesterday and decided to avoid New Vernon because I usually incorporate it in about 90% of my rides and wanted something different. So on my alternate route home, I hit some glass and flatted. :mad2: I haven't had a flat in something like 8 months! Maybe I should have stuck with New Vernon after all...

·
Registered
919 Posts
jmoryl said:
Thanks for the heads up! Now if they would just do Long Hill between White Bridge and Pleasantville.....
Yikes, I didn't realize they did it north of White Bridge too... I was just out there yesteday and discovered this. When the OP said the second bridge I thought he meant the one just south of the White Bridge intersection. But smooth pavement on that road will be awesome and it will make it a lot easier for cyclists and cars to co-exist. Anyone know when the paving will be done?

·
Registered
412 Posts
I drive that road to work everyday and still can't see why cyclists love it. IMO it is one of the most dangerous roads out there, too many blind turns, too much rush hour traffic and no shoulder.

But, I'll keep you all posted as to when the paving is complete.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Climbing_Clyde said:
I drive that road to work everyday and still can't see why cyclists love it. IMO it is one of the most dangerous roads out there, too many blind turns, too much rush hour traffic and no shoulder.

I like (maybe tolerate is a better word) it mainly because it connects two areas with some good riding on either side. And that I go riding in that area after I get out of work in Morris Co., where the riding is a lot better than near my house in Essex Co.

BTW, have you ever noticed on old maps that Meyersville Road used to run from the intersection of White Brige/Mt. Vernon to the Green Village area, skirting the eastern side of the swamp? Too bad that road no longer exists.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Climbing_Clyde said:

Which way do you travel? It isn't so bad starting from the Myersville end if you have a rear view mirror. Hopefully they add a shoulder to the road. Btw, was on it last night and the whole thing is dug up. I find it funny that the spots that were ok got really bad and the spots that were bad just haven't changed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
since it made me take a different route I have been going up right up Long hill instead of left into the swamp, I then go behind AT&T left to Liberty cornor then around the swamp up that nice hill that starts after the bridge over the passaic river then around and down to the Meyersville. then pick up the route again I used to do "thru" the swamp. I like my new route alot more and it's a perfect 25.9 mile route from my house in florham Park. I'm gonna skip the swamp for awhile. I like the new hills that are kicking my ass on my new route. I bet its nice though new pavement usually is.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
That is what I did today (but then I did a second lap and did New Vernon)! If you go up the hill on New Vernon Rd and take a right at the end and follow that road back to Loantaka there is a nice road that is very quiet and hilly. It is the Y right before the small uphill section and is a left turn. I would map it, but Google Maps doesn't render in IE8 Beta.

·
Registered
919 Posts
jsedlak said:
It is done! All paved!

And man is it smooth!
Thanks for the heads-up! Went through there both ways on Sunday morning and it was great. I think it will be a lot safer, since cyclists will no longer need to weave around rough pavement or take the lane. Did get stuck in a thunderstorm on my way back home, but otherwise a great ride.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Yup, it is smooth as silk now, not nuts about the double yellow line throughout cause I believe there are people out there that need to be passed and I hate being stuck in slow driver purgatory, but what are ya gonna do?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.