Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Trek 5000. I have put 10000 Kms on it in the 4 summers I have been able to ride and this winter I put a new Dura-ace 7800 crank and bottom bracket on it. I had to replace the chain and rear cassette as well. It had a Shimano 105 crankset on it. Each year I upgrade something to keep me interested. I went for my first couple of rides this past week and what a difference. It felt like a different bike. I should have done this earlier. What upgrades did you feel made the biggest diffence in your ride?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I replaced many a parts. so far, hands down new wheels - no question. I replaced the OEM wheels with a much lighter set and the difference was noticable right away. as you mentioned it was a much different bike. Hands down best upgrade I ever made. Now after reading about your new crankset I may have a new upgrade goal for next year.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My first upgrade was ROL Race SL wheels, it was an amazing difference over the stock Shimano wheels. Noticeably faster and lighter, that handling has picked up alot especially combined with the Michelin Pro Race 3 tires. I also replaced the stock felt 1.2 seat with a Specialized Toupe Team Saddle, big comfort improvement, always a plus . My next upgrade will be Kool-Stop shimano dry replacement pads.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
I'd imagine the biggest upgrades you'll get the most benefit from would be: wheels, saddle, cranks, handlebars, and tires. And probably in that order.
My Ultegra cranks shifted so much smoother than any crank I had ridden in the past. I've omitted "frame" from that list - it sounds from the amount of miles you have on your bike, that a change might be something you'd regret instead of enjoy. I had a late eighties bike I rode all the time and loved it. I got rid of it, and regret that very much.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I upgraded my entire new Trek 7.5 FX. Handbuilt 3X wheels, Ultegra triple cranks....name it. It doesn't feel like a new bike. It IS a new bike! LOL.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
A new saddle that's comfy for me. The 2nd most surprising upgrade are Michelin Krylion tires. Those changed the the ride characteristics completely. I put those on, got on the bike, and had to look closely. I thought I had stepped into a Lincoln.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts