Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having had a couple crashes, the most recent (loose gravel on a descent) breaking my thumb a couple days ago, I have to give my props to 3M Nexcare/Tegaderm bandages as the world's greatest thing for road rash. They come in a box with a mountain biker's leg on the cover, and unlike traditional bandages or gauze, they're like a clear sticker that goes over the skin, with a texture almost like Saran Wrap. They breathe, are waterproof (i.e. shower safe), and can stay on for a whole week -- no changing gauze pads or padded bandages that stick to the skin -- and the road rash heals great. Highly recommended.

Cheers,
Ari

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
Yup. If you go to a medical supply store, you can usually buy them in singles and they have the VERY BIG sizes!

6x18" works great on thighs. I've had bad road rash ;)

·
In need of sock puppet
9,420 Posts
+1. My home/travel emergency medical box has a bunch of tegaderms. We used to call them bioclusives. You know what's odd? There used to be medical saran wrap - intended to do the same thing. I have a roll of it just in case. It works, without as good a seal, but with some medical tape, it'll do in an emrgency.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
tegaderm is awesome.

I had some nasty (motor)cycle road rash a couple years back, healing process was seriously nasty with old-school gauze-and-pad.

Recent bike stuff, had tegaderm -- I'm not saying I WANT to go down any more, but, man, that stuff is great.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not to contradict myself, but the only bad thing about Tegaderm is that it can peel off areas that flex a lot, like the skin near joints. I just got some Johnson & Johnson Advanced Care for my hip -- similar product, flesh colored, seems to stick and flex better than Tegaderm. Good stuff. I still have Tegaderm on my non flexy areas, though.

Cheers,
Ari

·
limit screwed
806 Posts
Good thing the Tegaderm directions instruct you to clean the wound first.

I crashed two weeks ago, the stuff is great.

·
Cowboy up
3,886 Posts
The guy at the medical supply store was raving about Bioclusive transparent dressing by Johnson & Johnson. He said the application was easier than Tegaderm and it was less expensive.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
I'll have to give it a go.

My biggest Tegaderming was pretty much my whole right calf, and it worked great, but it wasn't a flexy-spot...

·
Registered
234 Posts
Tegaderm

I agree about the Tegaderm. I am a surgeon and harvest split-thickness skin grafts from patients' outer thighs fairly often. A split-thickness skin graft shaves off the epidermis and 1/2 of the papillary dermis (the junction between epidermis and dermis) - much like sliding across asphalt. Every surgeon I have ever worked with has always slapped a Tegaderm/Opsite over the harvest site. You take it off in 1 week and it looks great - not all the way healed, of course, but definitely on its way. I do the same for my own road rash.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ari said:
Not to contradict myself, but the only bad thing about Tegaderm is that it can peel off areas that flex a lot, like the skin near joints. I just got some Johnson & Johnson Advanced Care for my hip -- similar product, flesh colored, seems to stick and flex better than Tegaderm. Good stuff. I still have Tegaderm on my non flexy areas, though.

Cheers,
Ari
OK, the J&J stuff sucks. Basically, it fills up with fluid like a blister and gets pretty nasty. My hand surgeon cringed when he saw it and said to stick with Tegaderm.

Cheers,
Ari

·
Registered
13 Posts
Tagaderm is awesome, it heals much, much faster than with normal gauze. I think the fact that its compeletly sealed yet still breathable has something to do with it.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I used the J & J stuff last year when I got into a spot of bother after a crash. Healed the shoulder and leg fairly well, but the elbow was another issue. Fairly deep chunk of flesh was lost from there, and I still have about a nickel-sized bump from the depth of the injury. It is improving with time, but it's been exactly one year now. No infections though, as I kept it clean and covered.

That was not fun.

·
Professional Lurker
242 Posts
ari said:
OK, the J&J stuff sucks. Basically, it fills up with fluid like a blister and gets pretty nasty. My hand surgeon cringed when he saw it and said to stick with Tegaderm.

Cheers,
Ari
Tegaderm will also fill up with fluid (and then leak). My experience has been that it is necessary to use gauze over whichever brand material you use to soak up escaping fluid.

Several days with the same bandage material starts to look and smell somewhat iffy; fortunately, if the wound was properly cleaned, it stays remarkably healthy and heals quickly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts