Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone been cycling in Greece?
I'll be in Athens, Meteora, Karpinisi, and Crete with my road bike.
I'm only looking at trying to not lose to much fitness while on holiday; so I'm not looking at touring as much as just getting in some hard work. Okay, so maybe some pics of me and the bike at the Parthenon would be good too! ;-)
Thanks, R

·
Registered
165 Posts
rockstar said:
Anyone been cycling in Greece?
I'll be in Athens, Meteora, Karpinisi, and Crete with my road bike.
I'm only looking at trying to not lose to much fitness while on holiday; so I'm not looking at touring as much as just getting in some hard work. Okay, so maybe some pics of me and the bike at the Parthenon would be good too! ;-)
Thanks, R
I can give you some pointers on cycling in Athens but I don't have any experience in the other areas you mentioned. Getting around Athens on a bike is a major PITA b/c of all the traffic and pollution. Most tourists stay somewhere near the center (Syntagma, Omonia, Plaka etc) which is good for sightseeing but not good for getting out of the city by bike. That's the bad news, the good news is there is some decent and even good cycling nearby. The best cycling IMO is north and northwest. To get to those routes I would advise taking the subway to the Kiffisia stop (the northernmost stop) that way you skip about an hour's worth of hair raising city riding.

Near Kiffisia is Tatoiou Road. Best cycling road near Athens IMO. It goes through beautiful protected forests and has some good climbing and mountain views. There is very little traffic...I went on a Saturday morning once and saw probably less than less than 10 cars in 2-3 hrs riding. A lot of the locals train there.

Also near Kiffisia you can climb Penteli mountain then ride over to Marathon, Schinia, etc. Good climbing workout but more traffic than Tatoiou.

Parnitha Mtn is also highly advisable as it's the biggest climb around (4,200+ feet summit elevation) and has little traffic once you're on the climb, but getting to the base can be a PITA.

Finally I would also try the Sounion coastal route at least once. It's flat and quite pretty as it goes by the sea...it ends at Sounion which has the ancient temple to Poseidon (about 85-90 miles r/t). From the center of Athens take Syngrou road, turn left at the end and keep riding till Sounion. The last third of this route is great but the first part can have lots of traffic.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm envious… this will certainly be one hack of an experience. I took a 2 weeks Greek cruise a couple of years and it was one of the most memorable trip. The itinerary include 3 days in Athens, 4 days in Crete, a day in Mykonos, Rhones, Patmos, Turkey, and 3 days in Santorini . Streets of Athens and Crete are busy. While in Crete, ensure you visit Chania or Hana (can’t remember the spelling). I’ve not been to the Meteora and Karpinisi but I would imagine it will be beautiful. Highly recommend Santorini if you have an opportunity… very hilly … and beautiful!! Sorry for digressing …

Anyway, depending on the month you’re going, Greece is extremely warm in the summer season until around the October/November timeframe. I went in August and the temperature was in the high 30’s (Celsius).

My avatar is a pic my wife took of me relaxing on the veranda at Honeymoon Villa overlooking the ocean.

Enjoy your trip!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.