Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Anti-Hero
10,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd never had green chili until recently, and now I'm in love. Do any of you have a good vegetarian recipe? I searched the rest of the internets and found a lot, but Lounge > Everything Else, so let's see 'em.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Watching this thread with high interest.

Best Green Chile evar, little Mexican joint beside the railroad tracks in the Mexican neighborhood of Casa Grande Az, 1970. I can still smell the handmade tortillas and the big bowl of green chile.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,225 Posts
Imo you will find better recipes if you search on verde, not green. Avoid anything with tomatoes (like your linked recipe). Look for ones that use tomatillos, such as this one:

http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/ubbs/archive/VEGETARIAN/Chili_Vegetarian_Chili_Verde.html

I'd start there and modify to taste. Which in my case includes adding pork. But the blend of chiles is something to look for in any recipe. Avoid any with a single type of pepper.

·
No hero that's understood
6,100 Posts
Green Chili is one of my absolute favorite things.

I especially like to roast Hatch Green Chilis as part of the recipe.

My only issue is that I can't contemplate vegetarian green chili. Without the pork, I'm not sure it would even be in the ball park.

Sorry, no vegetarian green chili recipes from me.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
dr hoo said:
Imo you will find better recipes if you search on verde, not green. Avoid anything with tomatoes (like your linked recipe). Look for ones that use tomatillos, such as this one:

http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/ubbs/archive/VEGETARIAN/Chili_Vegetarian_Chili_Verde.html

I'd start there and modify to taste. Which in my case includes adding pork. But the blend of chiles is something to look for in any recipe. Avoid any with a single type of pepper.
Do you want Mexican Verde sauce or New Mexican Green Chile ?. HUGE difference.

SB

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
I would look for an authentic New Mexico recipie, and there are delicious vegetarian versions out there. Either The Santa Fe School of Cooking Cookbook or Cafe Pasqual's cookbook. Cafe Pasqual is one of my favorite restaurants and they specialize in vegetarian foods.

//I think one of the keys is using masa harina as a thickener

·
Proud luddite
7,190 Posts
q_and_a said:
Green Chili is one of my absolute favorite things.

I especially like to roast Hatch Green Chilis as part of the recipe.

My only issue is that I can't contemplate vegetarian green chili. Without the pork, I'm not sure it would even be in the ball park.

Sorry, no vegetarian green chili recipes from me.
MMMMMM....yeah!!! Nothing like green chiles from Hatch. The smell of them as you roast them, charring the skin, is indescribable. And I also agree, pork is essential for the dish. I like to cook the pork, shred it, and then slow cook it with the roasted green chiles and some salt and pepper. Pretty simple, and delicious on a good corn (NOT flour!) tortilla.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Never tried this, but am intrigued. Where can one find hatch chilies? We can usually get pretty much anything around here, but this sounds like a challenge.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Christine said:
Never tried this, but am intrigued. Where can one find hatch chilies? We can usually get pretty much anything around here, but this sounds like a challenge.
You find them in and around Hatch, New Mexico. They're definitely a seasonal thing. Starts in August and runs into mid September. Supposedly the crop got off to a slow start this year and the harvest will be a little later than usual. There are several varieties -- I think Big Jim are the best since they can have some heat, but not a lot. Its a good eating chile.

Up until recently, they never made it to grocery stores on the East Coast (I live in the DC area). I used to order them from one of the Hatch mail order places and have them fed-ex over nighted to my house. I'd get 50-100 lbs and have a chile roast with some friends. This was hugely expensive, but the things are good and can be frozen for use throughout the year if you prepare them correctly. For the last two years, I've found them at Whole Foods. A friend also saw them at Wegmans. From what I can tell, its a one time thing. A Whole Foods store gets a case or two and that's it. Last year, my wife and I raided three Whole Foods stores and bought every chile they had. We had five cases. They thought we were insane.

Another good thing you can get from the mail order houses is the dried red chile. Its a powder used to make red sauce for enchaladas and what not. Really easy to make and infinitely better than any canned version.

·
Proud luddite
7,190 Posts
pmf said:
You find them in and around Hatch, New Mexico. They're definitely a seasonal thing. Starts in August and runs into mid September. Supposedly the crop got off to a slow start this year and the harvest will be a little later than usual. There are several varieties -- I think Big Jim are the best since they can have some heat, but not a lot. Its a good eating chile.

Up until recently, they never made it to grocery stores on the East Coast (I live in the DC area). I used to order them from one of the Hatch mail order places and have them fed-ex over nighted to my house. I'd get 50-100 lbs and have a chile roast with some friends. This was hugely expensive, but the things are good and can be frozen for use throughout the year if you prepare them correctly. For the last two years, I've found them at Whole Foods. A friend also saw them at Wegmans. From what I can tell, its a one time thing. A Whole Foods store gets a case or two and that's it. Last year, my wife and I raided three Whole Foods stores and bought every chile they had. We had five cases. They thought we were insane.

Another good thing you can get from the mail order houses is the dried red chile. Its a powder used to make red sauce for enchaladas and what not. Really easy to make and infinitely better than any canned version.
I'm fortunate to live just a few hours from Hatch, so we get the chiles very easily. A lot of the grocery stores will even roast them for you....you buy the chiles, go to the parking lot where they have a roaster going, and they do it for you. The smell is heavenly! When they're still hot you put them in a paper bag and by the time you get home you can peel the skin right off of them. Truly one of the joys of living in the southwest.

·
rooster rubber
625 Posts
Always a little bittersweet to smell the first of the roasting chiles here in NM. Such a unique olifactory treat but it signals that summer is definately exiting stage left.

I'm down to only 2 ziplocs in the freezer from last years harvest. Hope it's not too late this year.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
A friend of mine is chef-owner of a popular cafe in NM. That doesn't automatically mean he has a great green chili recipe but I'll ask anyway.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
dr hoo said:

Trust Dr. Hoo here.

Then, make your own seitan and spice it however you like. Soy sauce is pretty good, as is salt and garlic. Seitan is incredibly inexpensive and easy to make on your own, it just takes a little bit of time. I have no idea why the stuff costs so much in the sores.

joe

·
Registered
843 Posts
Steve B. said:
Do you want Mexican Verde sauce or New Mexican Green Chile ?. HUGE difference.

SB
+1,000,000

And even though Anaheims are related, NuMex Big Jims or Sandias or any of the other varieties specific to New Mexico are FAR superior in flavor. I haven't gone far enough in this thread yet to see if TerriB or any of the other Ne Mexicans have replied yet but I'll be surprised if they haven't/don't. It doesn't take long to become a chile snob. And after I lived there for 17 years, I'll never get it out of my blood.

By the way, are you looking for green chile stew or some other dish made with green chiles?

Bob

·
Registered
403 Posts
azpeterb said:
Or how about in an omelette? Dem's good eats too!
Eggs make me gassy, so I tend to stay away. OK, that was TMI :yikes:

Every now and again a good breakfast burrito though... I live in NM, so when it's the season we buy large bags and throw it on pretty much everything: cheese sandwich, pasta (with feta and pine nuts), pizza,...

There's a company here that makes peanut brittle with green chile in it... goooood stuff.

Gotta give red chile some love too though. As mentioned above you can buy it dried all year round. My favorite red chile dish is when that frie eggs with the yolk in the middle, and then simmer them in red chile, served with rice or fideos and home made tortillas...

Time to make a food run I think :)

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
azpeterb said:
I'm fortunate to live just a few hours from Hatch, so we get the chiles very easily. A lot of the grocery stores will even roast them for you....you buy the chiles, go to the parking lot where they have a roaster going, and they do it for you. The smell is heavenly! When they're still hot you put them in a paper bag and by the time you get home you can peel the skin right off of them. Truly one of the joys of living in the southwest.
A BBQ grill does a lot better job than those roasters do. Grill them and let them steam in a cooler with wet towels. I got some auto roasted ones once and it was hard to get the skins off completely and they were cooked unevenly. Besides, its kind of fun grilling chile and drinking beer all afternoon. The smell is wonderful. I'm going to thaw a bag out when I get home tonight.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts