Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
tofurkey hunting
Joined
·
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i will be at a boring conference in greensboro on thursday and friday. are there any good watering holes or otherwise interesting things i should check out?

the conference will be a dread, so i should have plenty of time on my hands.... :rolleyes:
 

·
had it in the ear before
Joined
·
13,965 Posts
there's an old red barn outside of Brevard, NC where you can here real live bluegrass and get some potent moonshine, HTH.
 

·
Opus was just napping
Joined
·
21,673 Posts
ampastoral said:
i will be at a boring conference in greensboro on thursday and friday. are there any good watering holes or otherwise interesting things i should check out?

the conference will be a dread, so i should have plenty of time on my hands.... :rolleyes:
Greensboro...just a way to get from Raleigh to the Mtns or Charlotte.

Too bad it isn't Charlotte, some interesting stuff there.
 

·
Spicy Dumpling
Joined
·
9,721 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
Cycles De Oro......Well worth the visit.....
+1...How do you know about CDO?

Not much in Greensboro, Like TMB I go through it to get to Pisgah and Dupont for mountain biking.
 

·
Spicy Dumpling
Joined
·
9,721 Posts
gutfiddle said:
there's an old red barn outside of Brevard, NC where you can here real live bluegrass and get some potent moonshine, HTH.
Long way from G'Boro to Brevard. But I make the trip a few times a year.
 

·
had it in the ear before
Joined
·
13,965 Posts
VaughnA said:
Long way from G'Boro to Brevard. But I make the trip a few times a year.
i always camp at the N Mills River Campground and patronize that barn for my clogg dancing fix. I've "heard" there's mtn biking around those parts.
 

·
Spicy Dumpling
Joined
·
9,721 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
My corporate office is in Greensboro,...I've been there twice in the last month....
If you're in on a weekend send me a PM. Maybe we can get in a ride.

VA
 

·
Spicy Dumpling
Joined
·
9,721 Posts
gutfiddle said:
i always camp at the N Mills River Campground and patronize that barn for my clogg dancing fix. I've "heard" there's mtn biking around those parts.
We've stayed at Black Forest Campground near Dupont SF when we camp. Commercial site but real nice. I don't do the clog dancin' but I'd dew the dew.
 

·
had it in the ear before
Joined
·
13,965 Posts
VaughnA said:
We've stayed at Black Forest Campground near Dupont SF when we camp. Commercial site but real nice. I don't do the clog dancin' but I'd dew the dew.
Dupont is a beautiful place to ride but i have mixed emotions about the shuttle buses hauling people to the falls. Davidson River campground is less primitve and is where we go to take showers and such. One time the band playing at the old homeplace let me get up there and pick a few, it was near mothers day so i played the Hag's "Mama tried" and had those siver hairs hootin and hollerin and stompin there feet thru the floor, good times!
 

·
tofurkey hunting
Joined
·
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thatsmybush said:
Greensboro...just a way to get from Raleigh to the Mtns or Charlotte.

Too bad it isn't Charlotte, some interesting stuff there.
sadly, this is the impression i've gotten...

HOWEVER

i just found out that i am not going (flight was scheduled to leave this afternoon)

administration has decided that going to a pointless "leadership" meeting this friday is more important than a conference regarding developmental educations (college prep courses)...as i was threatened (well, through my dean) with possible future retribution...gotta love adminitrators

:mad2: :mad2: :mad2:
 

·
Spicy Dumpling
Joined
·
9,721 Posts
gutfiddle said:
Dupont is a beautiful place to ride but i have mixed emotions about the shuttle buses hauling people to the falls. Davidson River campground is less primitve and is where we go to take showers and such. One time the band playing at the old homeplace let me get up there and pick a few, it was near mothers day so i played the Hag's "Mama tried" and had those siver hairs hootin and hollerin and stompin there feet thru the floor, good times!
I've only been to Dupont in the off season so I haven't seen the buses but I've seen the crowds around the roadside falls. I prefer to hit Pisgah between Oct-April to hit the good trails. Git out yer Guitar and mountain bike and we'll get-r-done up there sometime. I'm planning at least 2 pisgah trips this year.
 

·
had it in the ear before
Joined
·
13,965 Posts
VaughnA said:
I've only been to Dupont in the off season so I haven't seen the buses but I've seen the crowds around the roadside falls. I prefer to hit Pisgah between Oct-April to hit the good trails. Git out yer Guitar and mountain bike and we'll get-r-done up there sometime. I'm planning at least 2 pisgah trips this year.
ive heard rumors of some fl boys making a brokeback mtn trip up there mid april, i got a youngin due in mid may so that might be my last hu-rrah for awhile, i'll keep u poasted.
 

·
Stumpcake!
Joined
·
5,950 Posts
VaughnA said:
If you're in on a weekend send me a PM. Maybe we can get in a ride.

VA
I was in Salisbury last weekend and will be this coming weekend....Me and Mrs Tcon grew up there and have familiy there so we go quite often. Greensboro is only another 35-40 minutes up the road so I'd be game as well.

I don't recall much to do around Greensboro. It was just a landmark on my way to Chapel Hill most weekends.
 

·
Spicy Dumpling
Joined
·
9,721 Posts
tconrady said:
I was in Salisbury last weekend and will be this coming weekend....Me and Mrs Tcon grew up there and have familiy there so we go quite often. Greensboro is only another 35-40 minutes up the road so I'd be game as well.

I don't recall much to do around Greensboro. It was just a landmark on my way to Chapel Hill most weekends.
I was thinkin' of draggin' Dave up my way to the mountains but there are some nice rides in that area. I've only ridden around Hillsboro on an organized ride. But I'm sure we could come up with something.
 

·
Spicy Dumpling
Joined
·
9,721 Posts
ampastoral said:
sadly, this is the impression i've gotten...

HOWEVER

i just found out that i am not going (flight was scheduled to leave this afternoon)

administration has decided that going to a pointless "leadership" meeting this friday is more important than a conference regarding developmental educations (college prep courses)...as i was threatened (well, through my dean) with possible future retribution...gotta love adminitrators

:mad2: :mad2: :mad2:
Typical stuff, If you ever make it again. Give me a call, I would have offered this weekend except I'll be out celebrating my anniversary with the missus.
 

·
had it in the ear before
Joined
·
13,965 Posts
VaughnA said:
Typical stuff, If you ever make it again. Give me a call, I would have offered this weekend except I'll be out celebrating my anniversary with the missus.
bomchicabombom!
 

·
Stumpcake!
Joined
·
5,950 Posts
VaughnA said:
I was thinkin' of draggin' Dave up my way to the mountains but there are some nice rides in that area. I've only ridden around Hillsboro on an organized ride. But I'm sure we could come up with something.
I haven't ridden around Chapel Hill....I didn't ride when I was in school there.

Where in the mountains? I'm good with that as long as we're talking pavement.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top