Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anybody is heading to this 3 weekend racing / training series. I road Donaldson last year but that's it. Can anyone give me some info on what the BMW course is like or the other course besides 'ol faithful'? Also any idea if these fill up ahead of time or if it's ok to go and sign up day of? Are the races fairly competitive or everyone just getting their feet wet at the beginning of the season. I'll take that last comment back since it looks like there's $ involved so I'm sure there will be no holding back.

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Money involved...

BigPiece said:
Wondering if anybody is heading to this 3 weekend racing / training series. I road Donaldson last year but that's it. Can anyone give me some info on what the BMW course is like or the other course besides 'ol faithful'? Also any idea if these fill up ahead of time or if it's ok to go and sign up day of? Are the races fairly competitive or everyone just getting their feet wet at the beginning of the season. I'll take that last comment back since it looks like there's $ involved so I'm sure there will be no holding back.
I'm not going this year, but...

Year's past, this is the start of the race season in the SE for the most part, everybody is going to come out and try to show everyone else that their balls are the biggest in February and early March. Be sure that people are going to be competitive. It's a "training" series in name only. Some of the hardest races I've ever done have been in this series. Seriously. Last year, we had the entire Aerospace Engineering team, Jittery Joes, and some HN guys there the first weekend, in short, it was hard.

BMW course is a test track. It's short, and there isn't anything even closely resembling a hill on it.

Donaldson, you've been there. 'Nuff said.

Don't know what other venues they're using this year, haven't looked.

·
Registered
247 Posts
River Falls in the Greenville Series

I believe this is the only course with any significant hills. As I remember (it's been two years), it's about a 6 mile loop with one moderately difficult hill and a couple of decent rollers. BTW, I think the flier does overstate the distance; I remember racing 6 laps for 35 or 36 miles.

The big hill is the climb to the finish. It's something like 3/4 a mile long and maybe an 8% grade (I'm totally guessing). It's definitely not steep enough that you're going to get away on it without attacking HARD and really stomping on the gas. If you're a 200# sprinter type, you might have some trouble staying on. In other words, you might not win the race, but unless you are the antithesis of a climber, it's moderately challenging at best.

Good luck to those that go,

SP

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Worrrd

Lost my bike last year in a wreck first day, first weekend and was out for the rest of the series. This year hope to do one race per weekend and keep my bike and body intact. Planning on trying to hurt everyone this year and prevent a group sprint. Won't plan on winning any but seeing how fit I am and the rest of the group with some break aways and pushing the pace. Hope to see a good showing and sure there will be if this weather holds. Magnolia -- why aren't you racing? Saving up for later races? Three straight weekends is hard to pass up.

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Lack of...

BigPiece said:
Lost my bike last year in a wreck first day, first weekend and was out for the rest of the series. This year hope to do one race per weekend and keep my bike and body intact. Planning on trying to hurt everyone this year and prevent a group sprint. Won't plan on winning any but seeing how fit I am and the rest of the group with some break aways and pushing the pace. Hope to see a good showing and sure there will be if this weather holds. Magnolia -- why aren't you racing? Saving up for later races? Three straight weekends is hard to pass up.
I have a serious lack of fitness and or training so far this year, bad case of the "work too much" blues since about, oh, August. Racing the pro 1-2 stuff, can't go in with little or no training, well, at least I can't, and hope to even think about finishing, let alone doing OK. So I'm sitting out the season until about May, or until I can get back on the bike and do more than a couple of days of rides in a row. 3 weekends is hard to pass up, but honestly, in the years that I've done those races, I've never had a good race weekend down there. Had some moderate successes, but I normally don't start riding well until later on in the season anyway, so I'll save my money for now. There are plenty of other race weekends in the season. It's always fun to go to Greenville though, just to break the cherry on the new season, it'll just have to wait, for me at least, this year.

Good luck. Remember, if you make a break for it, and get a gap, don't look back. Ride until you either get caught, or ride across the finish. It's really that simple.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Most of the races below the P12 are sprinters delights (except River Falls). Not many hills and you can sit in pretty good. River falls is challenging yet it still ends up in a sprint too. Just watch for the wind on "Ol Faithful" as it can split the field pretty easy.

If you are looking for some other races after Greenville, there is a website that has a pretty good Calendar of races around the G-ville area. www.charlottecycling.com Pretty good local site that has a mostly up to date calendar.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
BigPiece said:
Hope that wasn't you I saw in the sprint finish crash at Donaldson last year. One of the wreckees actually looked like they slid into that trailer at the line. :eek:
I'm hoping to do all 6 training races this year but one of the rides conflicts with the Mitchell training rides, maybe 2. :(
Lou.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
BIgPiece,

they are fantastic courses. Use them as training if you are feeling unprepared but by all means they are alot of fun. River Falls is fantastic!! They are well done even when it rains and sometimes they are al out war and sometimes they are relaxed fast group rides. I highly recommend you go.

Its best to pre reg always and good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts