Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any good stories from the weekend? I heard Saturday was a wreck w/ one Cat 5 going to the hospital w/ some bad lacerations to the face :( No broken bones though.

I raced Sunday in Cat 5 and placed 4th. A triathalete jumped early and nobody wanted to work to reel him in and then half way through a strong road racer got away, bridged the gap and beat him in the sprint. Sadly I never saw him break since I was sitting in the middle of the pack at the time.

Last lap I broke away w/ 2 other guys and before long the postion game began and about 7 others bridged to us making it ~ 10 man sprint. My lack of experience didn't catch the guy that sprinted first and when I made my break I just couldn't quite reach him although I was reeling him in. So second in the sprint, 4th overall w/ the rubber on the ground the whole time. Had to take off before the big boys raced so wondering how it went.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I raced both days

Saturday - I was up front for the entire race, then less than a mile from the finish, everyone fighting for position 2 guys went down right in front of me and that pretty much ended my race.

Sunday - DNF'd because of the mechanical issues to my bike from the day before

Good job on 4th though, (i was the tall lanky kid in the colavita kit :))

edit* just wanted to add that saturday was one of the scariest races iv ever been in (cat 5), with easily over a 100+ field made it very very dangerous. I found it shocking that when the announcer asked if it was a first race for everyone about half the field raised their hands.

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
I heard...

hambinator said:
I raced both days

Saturday - I was up front for the entire race, then less than a mile from the finish, everyone fighting for position 2 guys went down right in front of me and that pretty much ended my race.

Sunday - DNF'd because of the mechanical issues to my bike from the day before

Good job on 4th though, (i was the tall lanky kid in the colavita kit :))

edit* just wanted to add that saturday was one of the scariest races iv ever been in (cat 5), with easily over a 100+ field made it very very dangerous. I found it shocking that when the announcer asked if it was a first race for everyone about half the field raised their hands.
According to my friend who was there racing, the cat. 5s were stacked up like cord wood on Saturday. 130 cat. 5's in one race, is, well, plain old silly. Hell, 130 people in any race is just plain old silly. Go back next weekend, the cat. 5 field will be back down below 50. All of these folks come out, race the first race, and then go hide until the disease rides and organized centuries start up later on in the season.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Heheee.. Disease rides....I did the Greenville Series back in '02. Got my arse handed to me on a beautifully hand-crafted platter.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
illegal???

Not sure if it's different since it's spring 'training' series but I thought somewhere in the rulebook there was a 50 or 75 person cap for all Cat 5 races. I thought higher cats had no limit but for safety reasons there is definitely a max # allowed. Actually I was told this last year at a mid-season race b/c they told me they had just reached 50 Cat 5s and I may as well go home b/c they weren't going to take my $ for the race.

·
Registered
35 Posts
magnolialover said:
130 cat. 5's in one race.

:eek:

Did the organizers have any good reasons for doing that? I can think of lots of bad ones that I hope weren't the case:
- they just wanted an extra 80 reg fees (which are already about the highest for any race, with some of the lowest payouts)
- too lazy to split it into 2 or 3 races, even though this happens every year and they could have predicted it easily
- who cares, it's cat 5

·
Registered
247 Posts
Cat. 5 over 50 riders

That sounds dangerous to everyone involved. Riders for obvious reasons, but the promoter too. If the rule book says 50 riders, and he lets in more than that, you can probably sue his pants off if you get hurt in a big pile-up...doubt that USCF waiver that's as long as your arm will mean much if the promoter blatantly broke a very well known rule.

I've actually heard some promoters/officials say this.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
OMG! Saturday was a crash-fest, NASCAR would be proud. Seemed like there was a wreck every half lap. We actually had to stop to let the ambulance go by at one point.
Found myself in the top 15 or so with a half lap to go. As we come around the turn at the airstrip it seemed like the pack was slowing, like everyone wanted to stay out of the wind, so I went up front. Started accelerating but as we got near the fire station I blew up, nothing left. Now I know why everyone was saving themselves. ;) Think I got a top 15.

Sunday was a wind tunnel. There's always some type of wind there, but, my God, that was crazy! :eek: The good thing about it, though, was that it blew the pack apart, literally. We actually looked orgainzed riding 2 wide as opposed to 4 and 5 wide on Saturday. I was feeling good on the last lap, probably in the top 15, and then at the base of the long climb (about a half-mile before the RR tracks) I hear something and look down. Broken rear spoke! #@!&%. :(
You guys are lucky because I was about to make my move. :p

I think I talked to you at one point, hambinator.

The group was huge but I think that time constraints (or maybe available Sheriff vehicles?) kept them from splitting the class. Too bad because I really needed a Cat 5 Clydesdale class. ;)

Lou.

·
Registered
66 Posts
wavylines said:
:eek:

Did the organizers have any good reasons for doing that? I can think of lots of bad ones that I hope weren't the case:
- they just wanted an extra 80 reg fees (which are already about the highest for any race, with some of the lowest payouts)
- too lazy to split it into 2 or 3 races, even though this happens every year and they could have predicted it easily
- who cares, it's cat 5

Richard Hincapie (george's brother) tries to make as much money as he can from these races, and i think partly because its cat 5's and nobody cares :p

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
that a over simplification

hambinator said:
Richard Hincapie (george's brother) tries to make as much money as he can from these races, and i think partly because its cat 5's and nobody cares :p
Rich puts tons of time, effort and money into promoting cycling. He's hardly making it hand over fist in these races. I don't doubt that the promoters are trying to make money on the race most promoters do or should try and make something because putting these events on is hard work and the influx of money keeps the events coming back.

I would agree that from you discriptions the size of the cat 5 feild sounds a bit big - it did not look excessive to me when you guys were lining up but maybe it was. That said its one of the safest courses around only one real turn to deal with and an easy one at that.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
I assume you are talking about Donaldson Center. I used to do the four race spring series and the other stuff throughout the year when I was stationed in Charleston. I remember one race that ran counter clockwise so you had to negotiate the chicane before the finish. One group of five riders all went in the ditch together. I really hope they learned from that one. Clockwise has a nice safe runup to the finish, unless some asshat sweeps a bunch of riders. Oh the memories.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
great litigation

Speedi Pig said:
That sounds dangerous to everyone involved. Riders for obvious reasons, but the promoter too. If the rule book says 50 riders, and he lets in more than that, you can probably sue his pants off if you get hurt in a big pile-up...doubt that USCF waiver that's as long as your arm will mean much if the promoter blatantly broke a very well known rule.

I've actually heard some promoters/officials say this.
Sue enough and all we'll have is charity rides until someone sues for getting hurt on one of those.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Yeah they run it clockwise

bigbill said:
I assume you are talking about Donaldson Center. I used to do the four race spring series and the other stuff throughout the year when I was stationed in Charleston. I remember one race that ran counter clockwise so you had to negotiate the chicane before the finish. One group of five riders all went in the ditch together. I really hope they learned from that one. Clockwise has a nice safe runup to the finish, unless some asshat sweeps a bunch of riders. Oh the memories.
It would be fun to do the chicane before the finish tho.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Hi Lou - geez, you're brave. My friend (female) said Mitchell was a cake walk compared to racing into that wind on Sunday. Are you racing Gap Creek this Saturday? There's an interesting turn at the bottom of the hill past the start/finish line.

I'm too chicken to race this stuff. Hell, Tuesday night Donaldson gives me nightmares about cracking my skull. Oh, yeah....the slow thing, too ;-0 Good luck if you race.

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Turn..

litespeedchick said:
Hi Lou - geez, you're brave. My friend (female) said Mitchell was a cake walk compared to racing into that wind on Sunday. Are you racing Gap Creek this Saturday? There's an interesting turn at the bottom of the hill past the start/finish line.

I'm too chicken to race this stuff. Hell, Tuesday night Donaldson gives me nightmares about cracking my skull. Oh, yeah....the slow thing, too ;-0 Good luck if you race.
The turn at the bottom of the hill isn't a big problem, at least I haven't ever seen it to be in the years I've raced that course. It's always an interesting race though. The wind at Donaldson is famous for being just nasty, and you get that plastic chemical smell out there as well, which is always nice.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
litespeedchick said:

Brave is one word but my wife might have chosen another. :) I wasn't too worried though, I know a good chiro. ;)

Yep, I'll be at Gap Creek for the first time but I'm really looking to forward to the test track. That should be fun.

Your friend was right about the wind. It's one thing climbing and going slow because you expect it but going slow on the flats because of the headwind is just degrading. It started right from the RR tracks too. :eek:

Lou.

·
Just one more switchback
237 Posts
it's the second turn

litespeedchick said:

The first turn at the bottom is a breeze, it is the second turn that is a pain. It doesn't matter how wide you swing to the left, it isn't enough to carry much speed through it.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Seems like there was some sand/gravel last time I was out there too. Been awhile, though. I told C. to go off the front on the climb so she doesn't take those turns in the pack ! Then just stay away. Doesn't that sound like a good plan? ;-) You should do it too! You guys be careful. Check your fork, man.

I'll try not to hurt myself running Reedy River.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
You are very nieve

I can't spell worth a poop, but let me tell you, with a 130 riders in the field that has the lowest payout, the bank roll is high! I know as I've been on the promotion side before and I'm sure he gets alot of the prizes for very cheap. Don't get me wrong, I think it's great he puts these races on, I just hate to see when people get hurt from someone else not thinking things out.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
someone needs a recount

Mosovich said:
I can't spell worth a poop, but let me tell you, with a 130 riders in the field that has the lowest payout, the bank roll is high! I know as I've been on the promotion side before and I'm sure he gets alot of the prizes for very cheap. Don't get me wrong, I think it's great he puts these races on, I just hate to see when people get hurt from someone else not thinking things out.
The offical count I heard was 75 starters in the cat 5 field not 130. This is one of the safest courses out there. It take more that prizes to run a race I have done promotion as well.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts