Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a good while since I've participated.
Lost my partner Kathy to a cycling accident in 2006 and lost the passion for about 6 years. I'm back now and feisty as ever.

Just got another fixie recently; a Raleigh Rush Hour.
Minor mods; slightly longer, slight rise stem; Twofish bottle cage adapter, tail light and headlight (removable) for commuting.

I'm leading a local club ride Saturday (62-70 miles) in predicted 95-100 degree temp. on the fixie.

Past experience doing a couple of hill and/or 100 milers on a ibis Scorcher, and had a Langster for a year or so. The fixie is always the first to go when space gets tight.

Also ride a Calfee Tetra Tetra tandem, LeMond RB, and Intense Spider 4.5 MTb.

Pals with John and Forrest at MTBR/RBR/PHOTOR.

Glad to be back!

·
Registered
996 Posts
Hi Maury. I'm rather new to fixie riding but having fun. My geared friends think I'm a bit crazy. I have some understanding of your loss. My former coach Mary Jane (Miji) Reoch was killed by a drunk driver in 1993. It took a lot of fun out of riding for a long time.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It sounds like you're recovering also.
Kathy was run over by a recycling truck in a classic Right Hook. She'd had two other brushes with death during the 3-4 years previous, so there was a bit of other-worldliness to her passing for me.
She was a great Biker Chick!

I was fortunate enough to meet another cycling gal who helped me through the darkest times. She's also in the health profession, as was Kathy.

Feel free to e-mail me at my other box; [email protected]

·
Registered
89 Posts
It's been a good while since I've participated.
Lost my partner Kathy to a cycling accident in 2006 and lost the passion for about 6 years. I'm back now and feisty as ever.

Just got another fixie recently; a Raleigh Rush Hour.
Minor mods; slightly longer, slight rise stem; Twofish bottle cage adapter, tail light and headlight (removable) for commuting.

I'm leading a local club ride Saturday (62-70 miles) in predicted 95-100 degree temp. on the fixie.

Past experience doing a couple of hill and/or 100 milers on a ibis Scorcher, and had a Langster for a year or so. The fixie is always the first to go when space gets tight.

Also ride a Calfee Tetra Tetra tandem, LeMond RB, and Intense Spider 4.5 MTb.

Pals with John and Forrest at MTBR/RBR/PHOTOR.

Glad to be back!
Sorry for your loss. I noticed you said you ride fixies 70 miles?! Wow. I ride 3+ miles a day and I just feel so far from 70.. I've noticed the hills really crack me on a fixie. Is it just a matter of switching to an easier gear or do I just need to keep building up my endurance?

·
Make America grope again
4,754 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm glad you are back to riding. Love to hear updates on your rides.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Since my last post I swapped out my stock track drops for a more humane set of ergo. road bars, and exchanged the short brake levers for more traditional Tektro road levers. Both have added to the comfort level on long rides.
This past weekend was our local Bike Expo. I took advantage of the event to find a couple of other "upgrades" I'd been after. I snagged a carbon fork (Columbus Blade) and a no-name, lo-flange, radial-spoke front wheel w/QR to replace the heavy steel fork and bolt-on front wheel that came with the rush Hour.
Since the purchase I've read lots of criticism of the reliability of carbon forks.

I'll follow up after I've had a chance to do some decent rides with the new setup.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.