Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I heart team Zissou!
Joined
·
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
let me have your ear for a second...

I understand all the reasons you have given for the changeover -- they all make good sense from your perspective and I can see myself (and others) getting use to the new format and feratures...

but there is one make or break issue for me (and I see that several other people have highlighted this):

One of the best features of the old forum was that we (users) could quickly log onto a forum, see the thread history in chron. order (just like we can now -- after fiddling with the settings) *and* see all of the thread response headings as well. That last feature was the most important one for many of us b/c it allowed to get in quickly, check out what was going on, left-click and open in new windows the thread/responses we wanted and get out. Now it takes forever (well, that is a relative term) to open up the threads and see what's going on. Is it not possible for you to have a (preferably default) expanded thread view on the top page of the forum like on this PHP site?

http://www.bikefanclub.com/forum/postlist.php/Cat/0/Board/general/page/0/view/expanded/sb/5/o/all

I know you might have some other pans on the fire right now but please let me know if somethingb like this is possible and/or already in the works.

Thanks...

A+

Philippe (contemplating a move to bikefanclub or back to velonews.com)
 

·
cyclist
Joined
·
7,904 Posts
Hello Philippe,

We do not have plans to incorporate a look like this into our forums. The way this whole forum is set up, is completely different from the old looks and feel, it is not meant to be read in quite the same way.

From a previous quote:

"The reality is that these new boards are not the old boards, and they are not layed out like the old boards. Yes, it will take some getting used to, possibly longer than a week. One thing about the old forums is that in "view all" mode, it was impossible to tell who was responding to who. But people got used to it, and learned to accept it. I feel that this will also be the case with the different flow of conversation on the new boards. So, with the exception of the Hybrid mode (within threads), that is the closest we can get to the old boards with this system. But, the point is that these new forums are not the old forums, but they have their own set of advantages and look and feel. "

Like I've told others, thanks again for the feedback. With the exception of the Hybrid mode and the new "sort-by" latest thread option, we will not try to change this forum to look like the old one. It is our hope that people see the advantages of the new forum and stick with our community here.

I hear and read and understand the dislike for the new forums. But I stand by my statements that the new forums are better. I appreciate the time it takes to write out your opinion. Especially when it comes from board regulars that I know, like yourself.

-gregg


philippec said:
let me have your ear for a second...

I understand all the reasons you have given for the changeover -- they all make good sense from your perspective and I can see myself (and others) getting use to the new format and feratures...

but there is one make or break issue for me (and I see that several other people have highlighted this):

One of the best features of the old forum was that we (users) could quickly log onto a forum, see the thread history in chron. order (just like we can now -- after fiddling with the settings) *and* see all of the thread response headings as well. That last feature was the most important one for many of us b/c it allowed to get in quickly, check out what was going on, left-click and open in new windows the thread/responses we wanted and get out. Now it takes forever (well, that is a relative term) to open up the threads and see what's going on. Is it not possible for you to have a (preferably default) expanded thread view on the top page of the forum like on this PHP site?

http://www.bikefanclub.com/forum/postlist.php/Cat/0/Board/general/page/0/view/expanded/sb/5/o/all

I know you might have some other pans on the fire right now but please let me know if somethingb like this is possible and/or already in the works.

Thanks...

A+

Philippe (contemplating a move to bikefanclub or back to velonews.com)
 

·
I heart team Zissou!
Joined
·
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not sure what you are saying exactly...

Gregg,

I read and understand your point of view -- I guess what I am asking is -- with so many users asking for the top threaded view -- why not offer it as an option?. If there are technical reasons for this not doing this, fine, I can live with that. But if it not so difficult to do, why not give us a choice of how to view our pages? So -- how hard would it be to offer an "expanded view" as an option?

Thanks

Philippe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Expanded Threds

Gregg,

While I understand that most of the items people are complaining about are simply items which they need to adapt to the new system on, the expanded threads issue is not one such item.

I am a person who always gives new programs a try and almost always perfer the new to the old. I also realize that there is a learning curve for a short time frame where the old may seem better than the new. After this learning curve the new is always better. There are many advantages to the new system and I can understand the reason for the update.

However, the ability to view as expanded threads is not a minor issue. This is central to the way people use your board. This is the one issue everyone is upset about. For the sake of the board please bring expanded threads back!

I can not state this enough; without expanded threads RBR has had a major drop in quality and useablity. This is a major issue which people will always have a problem with, at least until they leave for another board.

Thank you for your time and consideration.



gregg said:
Hello Philippe,

We do not have plans to incorporate a look like this into our forums. The way this whole forum is set up, is completely different from the old looks and feel, it is not meant to be read in quite the same way.

From a previous quote:

"The reality is that these new boards are not the old boards, and they are not layed out like the old boards. Yes, it will take some getting used to, possibly longer than a week. One thing about the old forums is that in "view all" mode, it was impossible to tell who was responding to who. But people got used to it, and learned to accept it. I feel that this will also be the case with the different flow of conversation on the new boards. So, with the exception of the Hybrid mode (within threads), that is the closest we can get to the old boards with this system. But, the point is that these new forums are not the old forums, but they have their own set of advantages and look and feel. "

Like I've told others, thanks again for the feedback. With the exception of the Hybrid mode and the new "sort-by" latest thread option, we will not try to change this forum to look like the old one. It is our hope that people see the advantages of the new forum and stick with our community here.

I hear and read and understand the dislike for the new forums. But I stand by my statements that the new forums are better. I appreciate the time it takes to write out your opinion. Especially when it comes from board regulars that I know, like yourself.

-gregg
 

·
cyclist
Joined
·
7,904 Posts
Oh, sorry Philippe, guess I thought everyone knew already, It is NOT easy to set up this way due to technical reasons.

The whole Vbulletin system is based on a "linear" viewing of the threads, not "threaded" like we are used to. So, due to the way the VBulletin system works, it is not possible to add "threaded" style listing on the Forum index page. Believe me, if it was that easy, we would have already done it!

-g
 

·
Former Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
Joined
·
2,977 Posts
Expanded threads is not available with VBulletin. That is the bottom line. I have looked and looked.

I'm not quite sure why. My guess is the pages would get too large given the fact that most responded to threads are bubbled to the top.

francois
 

·
cyclist
Joined
·
7,904 Posts
Just to make sure that everyone knows...

....there IS threaded views within a thread.

Use the "hybrid" display mode. I have attached a screenshot of what that looks like:

<img src="http://forums.roadbikereview.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24&stc=1">

I know this is not the same as the old boards, but it's the closest we can get. This is one click deeper than the old forums.

Again, just wanted to make sure people are aware of this option.

-g



methosage said:
Gregg,

While I understand that most of the items people are complaining about are simply items which they need to adapt to the new system on, the expanded threads issue is not one such item.

I am a person who always gives new programs a try and almost always perfer the new to the old. I also realize that there is a learning curve for a short time frame where the old may seem better than the new. After this learning curve the new is always better. There are many advantages to the new system and I can understand the reason for the update.

However, the ability to view as expanded threads is not a minor issue. This is central to the way people use your board. This is the one issue everyone is upset about. For the sake of the board please bring expanded threads back!

I can not state this enough; without expanded threads RBR has had a major drop in quality and useablity. This is a major issue which people will always have a problem with, at least until they leave for another board.

Thank you for your time and consideration.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top