1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
la dolce vita
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
832 Posts
I'm sure he could do the race, physically. The problem is that pro cycling is a team sport and I can't see a continental team giving up a precious slot for him. Having said that, he might be able to attract some regular TV coverage (sort of like Spanish TV did for Johnny Walker at this year's Vuelta), which would make some sponsors happy. Too bad Rock Racing is gone because they might have gone for something like that.

·
Pack Fodder.
1,871 Posts
This I found interesting:
Two weeks ago, Grewal took part in Wheat Ridge Cyclery’s Crooked Roubaix, his first competitive event since his retirement. Despite riding a mountain bike, flat pedals and hiking boots, Grewal finished the 90-mile gran fondo-style high-altitude event on dirt and paved roads in the leading group, crossing the line in fourth place out of a field of some 125 starters.
Not the Pro Tour, but it's interesting what he's capable of. He's always been slightly nuts, but he would make for an interesting race.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Mike T. said:
Let's hope he stays drug free this time. He robbed Steve Bauer of the olympic gold don't forget.
even as a Canadian, I don't know if I'd say Bauer was robbed. Bauer also chose the wrong gear for that finish (too big a gear for the uphill finish). Grewal didn't test positive at the Olympics and didn't participate in the blood doping with others on the team (which wasn't illegal then). The ephedrine stuff he tested positive for a bit before the Olympics was pretty common back then - it's questionable whether it even has an ergogenic effect.

·
A wheelist
11,322 Posts
stevesbike said:
even as a Canadian, I don't know if I'd say Bauer was robbed. Bauer also chose the wrong gear for that finish (too big a gear for the uphill finish). Grewal didn't test positive at the Olympics and didn't participate in the blood doping with others on the team (which wasn't illegal then). The ephedrine stuff he tested positive for a bit before the Olympics was pretty common back then - it's questionable whether it even has an ergogenic effect.
I read an article about him in the past couple of years (probably in VeloNews) where he admitted he was doped for much of his career including the '84 Olympic road race. I doubt Grewal ever came close to Bauer in a sprint before that day (who did except for Phinney?) He'd lost his gold medal and claimed he didn't give a damn about it.

Speaking of Bauer. I have the (dubious) pride of actually passing him in a road race. Of course, due to the fact that we were in separate events (me, towing the Cat 3 field past him towing the Junior field) and his event was 2x the distance of mine, might have had something to do with it. Otherwise, I'd never be able to hang onto his back wheel. He was a "local" guy and an animal.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
I was dropped many times by Bauer - both before he turned pro (when he was known as the Fenwick Flyer) and after. He'd come back to Canada a few times a year and typically solo the last half of the race. He was much better soloing in than in close finishes...

·
Registered
832 Posts
Mike T. said:
I read an article about him in the past couple of years (probably in VeloNews) where he admitted he was doped for much of his career including the '84 Olympic road race.
Not trying to steer this thread to the Doping Forum, but the article you mention is here.

·
A wheelist
11,322 Posts
stevesbike said:
I was dropped many times by Bauer - both before he turned pro (when he was known as the Fenwick Flyer) and after. He'd come back to Canada a few times a year and typically solo the last half of the race. He was much better soloing in than in close finishes...
Yes he was in a class of his own wasn't he? I knew his early coach Colin H. quite well and he'd tell me what Bauer did in training. Colin knew he was special.

·
waterproof*
41,610 Posts
awesome.

Alcala has been coming to Texas lately, racing with his young guys squad; at first he wasn't exactly tearing things up but lately the results have been coming.

·
la dolce vita
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
carlosflanders said:
Alan McCormack is still racing Cat 1 in CO, I think. Was P12 state crit champion two years ago. Another one for the old guys team.
Eddy Gragus ('96 US Pro champ) is still racing too. I know where you can find Ron Keifel, Chris Carmichel and a few of the other "old" guys. Heck, maybe even talk Heiden back.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts