Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I got these new sunglassess today. They come with four interchangeable lenses: grey, brown, yellow and clear. The box says that I'm now good for all conditions. But what conditions are each of these lens for?

·
Registered
310 Posts
I apologize in advance for the sarcasm, but did the included user manuals, or manufacturer's website not offer any guideance?

Aside from that, in the order you listed, I would guess: really sunny, partly cloudy, really cloudy, dark.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I always wear clear for my AM commute. It's dark. I'd use the gray for sun. Yellow is very good for cloudy, dark, gloomy days. You might be surprised at the difference it makes. Brown?? Maybe in case you accidently sit on the gray ones?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
No, there was absolutely no instructions, except to tell you how to remove and install the lenses. The rest of the information is on the outside of the box. I even included their misspelling of the color gray.

I could kind of figure out yellow and clear. It's the difference between brown and gray that puzzled me.

I did find one web site that said the following, but it wasn't too much help. It seems maybe that gray is for really bright sunny days, and brown is for less bright sunny or partly cloudy days. I infer that from "varying conditions". This inference seems to be supported by other web sites.

GRAY reduces the maximum amount of visible light and allows for true color recognition. Good for bright sunny days and heavy glare situations.

BROWN provides excellent contrast and improves visual acuity and depth perception. Good for bright sunny and varying conditions. Reduces blue light.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Generally, yellow and red lenses tend to increase contrast. Gray lenses are great because they don't fark with colors, i.e. what you see is what is real; however gray decreases transmission across all wavelengths, so as light levels go down, contrast goes way down.

I have clear for night, muy dark gray for those cloudless Tucson days, and rose for everything else. I can use the rose glasses surprisingly late in the day.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Don't know how much it matters

But I prefer the brown for normal sun. It alters the color but the contrasts seem sharper than the grey. Of course, I'm riding in high UV conditions and am half blind anyway, so I'll admit it could be just me.

·
Banned
6,492 Posts
Too much reliance on RBR?

To be honest, I went through the same thing when I bought the same glasses: How do I know I'm using the right lenses? If I get it wrong, will people laugh like they do when I show up with mountain bike shorts and toe clips?
Then it dawned on me: I have eyes. I can look through the things and see what works under what conditions. Haven't worried about it since.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.