Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Riding a stock 2wk old '08 Madone 5.2 with about 200miles on the odo...

During my ride this afternoon I noticed there was a pool of grey grease all around the non-drive side of the BB/crank arm area. As I pedal this goop looked like it was oozing out and would move around and around which got me worried. I stopped in a safe area and examined the area but everything feels fine.

I think I'm gonna take the crank off and inspect the bearings in there.. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this or know of this. Maybe I need new bearings already?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well.. i guess i wont take it apart for now.. it looks like a relatively simple assembly based on the assembly manual I have.. I don't see why I'd be asking for trouble just removing the crank.. but I'll leave it be for now and see where it goes.

thanks guys..

other than this and losing the front tire its been an awesome bike.

·
Registered
503 Posts
smokey0066 said:
well.. i guess i wont take it apart for now.. it looks like a relatively simple assembly based on the assembly manual I have.. I don't see why I'd be asking for trouble just removing the crank.. but I'll leave it be for now and see where it goes.

thanks guys..

other than this and losing the front tire its been an awesome bike.
Ok, Ok - I stand corrected. I didn't mean trouble in the literal sense. It is a simpler assembly due to less parts than older cranks. There's just no reason to take it apart, you could not have worn out your bearings in 200 miles. I would venture to guess that the bearings will outlast your ownership of your new 5.2. Its a great bike, use it well and enjoy it. It gets better with every ride. Its like a Swiss Army knife - it does everything really well.

·
Registered
84 Posts
On assembly, the BB is lubed around the bearing face (of the cartridge) and spindle. Usually the grease spread on the spindle and bearing face work out. ie. normal as others have said.
That is if you meant Grease, not Geese (gease)

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
08Madone5.2 said:
Ok, Ok - I stand corrected. I didn't mean trouble in the literal sense. It is a simpler assembly due to less parts than older cranks. There's just no reason to take it apart, you could not have worn out your bearings in 200 miles. I would venture to guess that the bearings will outlast your ownership of your new 5.2. Its a great bike, use it well and enjoy it. It gets better with every ride. Its like a Swiss Army knife - it does everything really well.
IME, good quality bearings (grade 25 is commonly used in bikes) last thousands of miles, but not for the life of most bikes. The carbon races most likely will.

Other members may have different maintenance schedules, but I tend to disassemble, clean and regrease (w/ new bearings) BB's every 7,000 miles which equates to about every two years for me. I'm sure some do it more frequently.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.