Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be my first year running tubulars and I can't decide between the grifo 32's or 34's. I know alot of people really like the 34's and I hear they are pretty wide.Dose anyone know how they compare as far as width to a maxxis loucust 34 clincher. I ran WTB cross wolf 32 clinchers last year and really liked the width of those, BUT would a larger tubie give you more of the tubular benifit? OH the choices! It's tying my stomach in knots.

Rich

·
You call that running?
262 Posts
I'm going to try a 34 front with a 32 rear this year and save my other 32 as a spare. I'm hoping this will give a little bit more front wheel floation in soft stuff, especially sand. As wunlap points out a bigger tire is also nice for rough courses.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Though a minor difference in width, the 32 has roughly 88.6% of the air volume of the 34. Another way to look at it is the 34 has almost 13% more air volume at a given pressure. That means a variety of things, which may or may not matter to you.

1. You can run the 34 at a lower pressure with the same amount of rim protection.
2. More tread surface contact at equal pressure.
3. Wider footprint w/ lower pressure when riding over stuff like sand, that you want to "float" over.
4. Slightly slower when accellerating when compared to the 32. The insignificant percentage (5-8%) of difference (tire only) seems like a lot, but relative to the overall mass you're accellerating (you),it is nothing to lose sleep over. There is a lot of accellerating in CX though. Depends on the course how much of a penalty that is. Generally, not much relative to the gains.

That said, you can't go wrong w/ a 32.

A 32 Grifo is quite large, I'd say about equal or slightly larger than the benchmark Michelin Mud 30 clincher (actually like 35) when you line them up side by side. I haven't actually used a caliper, but have closely compared before "by eye".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.