Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bear with me, I'm getting to the reason for the title eventually!
My son and daughter received one of those fancy back-yard playsets from an overly generous grandmother. Now that's the start of my "problem", if you will. You see, we have a very small back yard. If you don't count the covered patio, the back yard is like 14 feet deep and 60 feet wide. We've also got a BUNCH of growth back there that we don't care for. So we decide we'll just hack it all down to make room for the playset.
That coincided with a letter from Lowes stating I can get 12 months no int/pay with any purchase over $250. So we decide we'll get a chainsaw and a few other necessary household items. When we arrived, they had a HUGE display of grills. I really like grilling, but am still learning. We also have an el-cheapo charcoal grill that's rusting and very, very small. So I meander over to the grills and my wife is wondering why. I explain that the few things, including the chainsaw, will probably not add up to the $250. Yeah, you can see where this is going, right? Me too, at least I was hoping. So I mention that if we get an inexpensive one, that it'll help us get over the threshold for the 12 mo. promo.
We ask one of the employees there about the taste of the propane gas vs. charcoal. She mentions that you can get a smoker box and fill it with mesquite or hickory chips to get the flavor. So questions 1 & 2: Has anyone done this? What's the success with it?
It sure sounded feasible. I liked the one we were looking at too: thermometer on the lid, porcelain coated cast iron grates, flame guards, and plenty of storage under and to the side. (one side has a burner, but I doubt I'd ever use it - does anyone really?).
Now they have a free assembly, but from looing at the displays, I'm too dubious to try that and decide I can do it myself. The helpful associate offered to bring it up to the register for us, so it'd already be there when we were done getting the outdoor stuff.
Happy ending? Wife is happy and excited, we got everything we need, got a great price on a good grill, we're over the minimum purchase. We go up to the register and get my account looked up, since I don't carry credit cards on me. Account look up goes smoothly, it takes the cashier about 5 minutes to scan all the crap we got. She goes to charge it, and then tells me I've got $0 available credit. Hmm.... I just paid off my washer on the same promo 2 months ago. My balance is 0, so what gives? I call the bank, and GE Moneybank (I can't blame Lowes here) has recently reviewed accounts and closed many.
So we leave there with the stuff we came for, paid with my debit card instead. No grill, no happy wife or me. Now I can see why my company dropped GE too, they promised so much good, then turn around and crawfish on good customer service. A few months ago, we could only get people approved if they had about a 830+ credit score. Ridiculous! Oh well, my refund should arrive tomorrow and I'll be happy. New stem, cassette, fitting, front wheel, and now a grill!
I'll be back to get good tips on steaks and tender ribs!

·
Registered
11,615 Posts
Whoa!

I'll have to check my Lowe's account to see if I've been given the gang plank as well. The account is up to date, and my credit good, but apparently this may not matter.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
no notice?

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
i wouldnt have bought any of it and just walked out. one of the drivers for going was to hit the 250 mark and get the no interest thing.

but i also wouldnt have gone looking to buy a chainsaw. just rent or borrow one, unless you think you are gonna need to use it several times over the years.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
weltyed said:
but i also wouldnt have gone looking to buy a chainsaw. just rent or borrow one, unless you think you are gonna need to use it several times over the years.

chainsaws-- good at controlling pesky neighbors.

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
there's no substitute for charcoal, pay cash or don't buy it;)

·
Lets Go Hokies!!!
5,930 Posts
Bummer on the credit card deal. I can't believe they didn't send any sort of notice. Thats just crap customer service.

As for the smoker box, we do that all the time on our gas grill. You really need to make sure the chips are hot though. There have been a few times where we have to take the smoker box out and use the extended lighter thingy to get the chips going again. But it tastes pretty good.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
gutfiddle said:
there's no substitute for charcoal, pay cash or don't buy it;)

+ eleventy

smoker boxes dont give the same taste as charcoal. they give the wood taste. completely different. and they only work about 70% of the time.

i met a guy on an airplane who swore that if you just stuck one charcoal briquette on a gas grill it would have the effect of a charcoal grill. not sure how accurate that is, but he was right about the bar in gig harbor, washington.

·
Lets Go Hokies!!!
5,930 Posts
weltyed said:
smoker boxes dont give the same taste as charcoal. they give the wood taste. completely different. and they only work about 70% of the time.
I will agree that it is a different taste. We busted out the smokey joe to do some chicken the other night and the charcoal taste itself was almost overwhelming to us. The smoker box just adds a nice smoky flavor....not the harsher burned flavor you can sometimes get with charcoal. That being said, the chicken was the juciest chicken breasts we've made in a while......

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
HokieRider said:
I will agree that it is a different taste. We busted out the smokey joe to do some chicken the other night and the charcoal taste itself was almost overwhelming to us. The smoker box just adds a nice smoky flavor....not the harsher burned flavor you can sometimes get with charcoal. That being said, the chicken was the juciest chicken breasts we've made in a while......
let the fire/lighter fluid burn down longer, i love your juicy breast.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
weltyed said:
i wouldnt have bought any of it and just walked out. one of the drivers for going was to hit the 250 mark and get the no interest thing.
Yup. But I'll pass on those no-interest traps, either that or pay it off in 10 months if the deal lasts 12 months. That way you have a month to fix their error at the end, and you still have a zero balance statement at the end of the year.

Brine the breasts! (not kode)

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No notice. And we did pay cash today. I might rig up something to use a little charcoal, but will try the the smoker box first.

·
hello
3,394 Posts
I have 2 large racks of spareribs for smoking on my charcoal grill tomorrow. Got the ribs at Costco yesterday. Indirect grilling with some hickory chunks thrown in during the first hour. They'll be done in about 4 hours......
But first, I've got to apply some rub, cover, and store them in the fridge overnight, this evening.
Yes, I love my Bar B Chef charcoal grill. Not as good as a smoker, but good enough...:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts