Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have FSA K Force Light cranks with the ceramic bottom bracket. I have probably 500 miles on them. When I torque hard on the cranks when I stand to climb I hear a lot of metallic grinding and clicking in the bottom bracket. Is this something that I need to tighten or it is going to need to go back to FSA?

· Registered
21,832 Posts
Noise source

tyro said:
I have FSA K Force Light cranks with the ceramic bottom bracket. I have probably 500 miles on them. When I torque hard on the cranks when I stand to climb I hear a lot of metallic grinding and clicking in the bottom bracket. Is this something that I need to tighten or it is going to need to go back to FSA?
How do you know the noise is coming from the cranks? It could be any number of other problems - noises travel through the frame and it's often hard to pinpoint the source. To see if it is the BB, take the chain off the chainrings and turn the crankset by hand. If you feel grittiness or stickiness, or if the cranks have any play when you work them from side to side, then that suggests the BB is the problem. If they turn smoothly without play, then it is probably something else. It could be wheels, bar/stem, headset, cassette, frame, etc.

· Registered
2,931 Posts
+1

To see if it is the BB, take the chain off the chainrings and turn the crankset by hand. If you feel grittiness or stickiness, or if the cranks have any play when you work them from side to side, then that suggests the BB is the problem.
I got a lot of practice doing this with my FSA/MegaExo crank. It'll be like turning a coffee grinder. If it is the BB, 500 miles might be a MegaExo record. I at least got 3000 miles out of ceramic bearing MegaExo before I ditched the whole set up. I was going through bottom brackets like bar tape.

· Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dr_John said:
+1

I got a lot of practice doing this with my FSA/MegaExo crank. It'll be like turning a coffee grinder. If it is the BB, 500 miles might be a MegaExo record. I at least got 3000 miles out of ceramic bearing MegaExo before I ditched the whole set up. I was going through bottom brackets like bar tape.
If it is the BB, I'm going to change to something else. After I purchased this crank, one of my buddies said that his MegaExo crapped out pretty quick too. At least they are consistent...

Can I use Campy cranks with a Shimano DA setup? (Yes, I have used the search function but could not find anything.) I need compact, otherwise I'd go with DA.

· your text here
13,203 Posts
i have a truvativ BB that needs to be pulled at least once a year, if not twice. this saturday i noticed the clicking/clanking that preceeds near grinding. sunday i took the morning off and pulled the BB, cleaned the shell, cleaned the splines, and reassembled it all. now its fine and dandy.

the bike is a CX frame, and i use it on dirt/gravel and use it to pull my kid. so while it may not get race time, it gets hauling duty.

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
How do you know the noise is coming from the cranks? It could be any number of other problems - noises travel through the frame and it's often hard to pinpoint the source. To see if it is the BB, take the chain off the chainrings and turn the crankset by hand. If you feel grittiness or stickiness, or if the cranks have any play when you work them from side to side, then that suggests the BB is the problem. If they turn smoothly without play, then it is probably something else. It could be wheels, bar/stem, headset, cassette, frame, etc.
yup...I'd suspect dirty pedals. you don't have enough miles to be having BB problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.