Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a grinding, crunching feeling that slightly interrupts my pedaling cadance when pedaling under load on a SRAM Force setup. It mainly occurs when I am in the big ring but when out riding yesterday, it has started in the little ring as well. It is like the chain is getting caught on the rings, but the teeth all appear straight and in good condition and there are no stiff links in the chain. I have torn apart, cleaned, & lubed the rear derailleur, bb, chain, and cassette. Any suggestions?

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you please elaborate on how I should sheck te freehub. The rear wheel is a Chris King, and I have already tightened the bearing and cassette. Should I take it everything apart, or at least as much as possible w/o King's hub tool, and try to clean and relube the internals? Is there something in particular I am looking for?

· Registered
464 Posts
I have king hubs on my mtb and it is quite easy to dis-assemble with 2 allen wrenches.

Simply pull hub apart, doing to the bearings, ck everything, apply new grease where needed (if they are "sealed" bearings, you can easily lift up the gasket (be gentle as you don't want to tear it) and apply some fresh grease to bearings. Put all back together and you should be good to go.

BTW, just did similar procedure to my campy chorus rear hub - it was making a ton of noise. All quiet now.

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Remove the rear wheel from your bike. Twirl the axle between your thumb & forefinger. It should feel smooth as silk. If it doesn't, that's where your problem is.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.