Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:mad2: No news to anyone, car drivers suck! It really amazes me how pissed off some people can get just because they pass a couple of cyclists on the side of the road. Take my experience yesterday as an example. I am riding along with a bud and we are right on the white line on the road side (couldn't move any farther over because of bad road conditions....stupid frost heaves) and this car comes up behind us. No other cars were coming in the opposite direction and this guy still refuses to move over, slows until he is about two feet behind us and lays on his horn. Then speeds around us, while turning around to scream at us. Its hard not to want to snap when all you want to do is just catch the guy and call the cops on them. Obviously its better just to let them go and not instigate any further altercations, but my god I just want to smash their windshield when people do that. Last summer I had a similar encounter where the guy sped ahead, pulled over, and proceeded to get out of his car and wait for us (simply because we were on the road). I road by without stopping, but when he caught back up with us he decided to really cut it close...his side view mirror came within an inch of my shoulder. Makes me so mad!!!

·
Deliciously Ironic
1,006 Posts
get license plate

I hear ya man, it's such a pain. Don't confront or try to reason, just note license plate. You are probably not the only road user (cyclist or otherwise) they harass.
carry a camera...make complaint at PD.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Handlebar mounted shotty... Just sayin

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The handlebar mounted shotgun would be hard to explain if I got caught by a cop...at least with the brick you can say you are carrying it for weight training purposes

·
Registered
239 Posts
Had a great ride today as well.

Someone spread glass across the bike lanes on a popular cycling route last night. I mean really spread it out and on both sides of the road. How thoughtful.

Later on the same ride, myself and two friends are riding in the bike lane and an old couple decide to lay on the horn and gesture for us to get over. I'm guessing they wanted us off the road and on the sidewalk. They were really full of anger too. Funny thing was that they proceeded to turn on their blinker and pull into a church parking lot. How Christian of them!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
vtrider said:
The handlebar mounted shotgun would be hard to explain if I got caught by a cop...at least with the brick you can say you are carrying it for weight training purposes
If you're gonna go that rout, just get a big heavy U lock (NYFU?). No explanation necessary.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Around here it's the Horse people with their Big Trailers and Diesel Pick-ups. They think they are so Big and Bad. I wish I could ram my Peterbilt up their A-- one day

·
Registered
12 Posts
People are so brave when behind the wheel of a car.

I had a guy honk at me while I was all the way in the bike lane. He turned right in front of me. I followed him into the parking lot to see what his deal was. After knocking on his window he proceeded to stutter that he honked at me because he didn't see me. :rolleyes5:

I told him that his logic was awesome.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I drive a car. I also drive a truck (pickup). I don't suck...

I watched a woman on a road bike zoom through a redlight the other day and almost get smacked.

It's not just car drivers that suck, it's PEOPLE that suck. Everybody is in too damn big a hurry and can't seem to realize that life would be better if you just left a few minutes earlier.

Todd

·
Registered
79 Posts
had a great one the other day. riding in the country with a friend and a truck goes by rather close with no one coming the other direction. i raise my arm as to say move over a little. he pulls over ahead and gets out and tells me to move over more and i tell him i have every right be be on the road. he then informs me that bikes should not be allowed to ride on the country roads. how can you deal with someone that smart? WTF

·
Satanic Watch Winder
4,839 Posts
berdswerd said:
People are so brave when behind the wheel of a car.
I had a guy honk at me while I was all the way in the bike lane. He turned right in front of me. I followed him into the parking lot to see what his deal was. After knocking on his window he proceeded to stutter that he honked at me because he didn't see me. :rolleyes
:
I told him that his logic was awesome.

We're seeing first hand what the most selfish society on earth is degenerating into. Everyone is too important to be bothered by such trivial things as stop lights or the life and wellfare of others. But there have been forkheads since time began. Back in the early eighties a guy in a convertable yelled at my friend and I to get off the road as he forced us up against the curb. I guess he didn't plan on getting stopped at the next light. As my friend rode up on his right and inquired WTF?, I came up on his left, grabbed his hair and stuck the frame cleat of my Zefel under his nose. My friend said "I'm sorry, I didn't hear you. Would you mind repeating yourself?" We never did figure out what his reply was, but he left in a hurry when he got the green light. Lots of witnesses. Nobody said anything.

I wouldn't dream of doing that today. In fact I've stood at a country intersection with twelve other riders while some idiot got out of his car with the intent of starting a fist fight. None of us said moved or a word. He finally drove off in his own private hell and we enjoyed the rest of our ride. It makes you wonder what this behavior will ultimately degererate to.

·
RoadBikeReview Member
342 Posts
Last summer I had a similar encounter where the guy sped ahead, pulled over, and proceeded to get out of his car and wait for us

He should have been reported for road rage.

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
I've found most drivers are courteous to you if you are courteous to them. Every now and then I do run across an idiot who thinks you shouldn't be on the road, but those are pretty few in my limited experience.

A lot of people I ride with will block the lane when they could easily get over and make room for everyone. There are ******** car drivers but there are also high and mighty bikers too. Idiots on both sides of the aisle make trouble for all of us.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I know how you feel, but in these situations, after my impotent, quasi-homicidal rage has cooled a little, I TRY to remember that I've been passed by hundreds of courteous (or, at least, unmemorable) drivers for every jerk out there.

And then I try to remember all the times I've been a jerk.

After a while, I start to feel better. Don't know if my tactics have had anything to do with it, or whether it is just the effect of elapsed time, but at least I feel like I'm doing something to control the situation.

I guess I'm an optimist, basically.

---------------------------------

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
D&MsDad said:
I know how you feel, but in these situations, after my impotent, quasi-homicidal rage has cooled a little, I TRY to remember that I've been passed by hundreds of courteous (or, at least, unmemorable) drivers for every jerk out there.

And then I try to remember all the times I've been a jerk.

After a while, I start to feel better. Don't know if my tactics have had anything to do with it, or whether it is just the effect of elapsed time, but at least I feel like I'm doing something to control the situation.

I guess I'm an optimist, basically.

---------------------------------
Ya basically HAVE to be an optimist if yer out on the roads on a semi-daily basis. I make sure I wave thanks to the folks that are courteous. Don't know if it helps, but I like to think I'm making a difference with a free gesture.

Actually didn't have ONE person being an idiot on the hour ride I just got in from. Life is good after all!

M

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I have certain times during the day I can't ride, usually 4-6pm Mon-Friday, because those are the times the factory workers are let out on the roads.

These are $8/hr jobs. Drugs, low IQ, nothing to live for, many hate their life....and don't mind taking mine. Makes getting around on the highways almost impossible.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts