Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've used Gripshift many years. I've got Gripshift X7 on SRAM X5 gears and I've got Gripshift Attack on Shimano gears (an old mountain bike).

Now, I want a "hybrid" - lightweight, skinnyish (28 / 32) tyres, flat bar. Most seem to come with Shimano road gears rather than the mountain bike gears I'm used to. That's fine, provided I can still use Gripshift.

So, I know there are Gripshift versions for both SRAM and Shimano gears (MTB), but do they work with road gears eg Shimano Sora, Tiagra, 105 ? And any SRAM road gears ? I am only looking at 9 speed as I don't want the expense of 10 speed.

If Gripshift only works with MTB gears (SRAM and Shimano) then I need to look accordingly.

If anyone has actually tried Gripshift with road gears or has reliable information, then I will be very pleased to hear from you.

·
9,790 Posts
I've used Gripshift many years. I've got Gripshift X7 on SRAM X5 gears and I've got Gripshift Attack on Shimano gears (an old mountain bike).

Now, I want a "hybrid" - lightweight, skinnyish (28 / 32) tyres, flat bar. Most seem to come with Shimano road gears rather than the mountain bike gears I'm used to. That's fine, provided I can still use Gripshift.

So, I know there are Gripshift versions for both SRAM and Shimano gears (MTB), but do they work with road gears eg Shimano Sora, Tiagra, 105 ? And any SRAM road gears ? I am only looking at 9 speed as I don't want the expense of 10 speed.

If Gripshift only works with MTB gears (SRAM and Shimano) then I need to look accordingly.

If anyone has actually tried Gripshift with road gears or has reliable information, then I will be very pleased to hear from you.

SRAM only makes road/hybrid shifters in 10 speed.

SRAM says their MTB shifters won't work with road components. Of course, that's true in your case, since SRAM doesn't make 9 speed road parts.

So, your options are to buy a hybrid with crappy Shimano road parts (I hate Shimano...) and add SRAM Centura twist shifters later or find one that comes with SRAM 10 spd flatbar components. Honestly, all of the decent twist shifters are all 10 speed now (and SRAM-only) - the 9 speed ones are the cheap, clunky, jank-ass ones.

SRAM has phased-out all Shimano-compatible shifters except the crappiest of the crappy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, so SRAM only make 10s now. That's something to bear in mind.
Are you saying that shifters which work on Shimano MTB gears also work in their road gears ?

As for Gripshifts being junk, in my experience, the only people saying that are the people who haven't tried them. I wouldn't use Centura either. The 8 and 9 speed Attack are excellent on Shimano MTB gears and I would never swap for anything with paddles. Actually, my other bike came with paddles, but when I hit a tree the paddles broke which gave me a good excuse to buy some Gripshift.

I reckon SRAM think they make more money installing paddles, then selling Gripshift to millions of people too - and sell more paddles to people who break their paddles ... Gripshift are very reliable and very difficult to break ... SRAM make more money by not giving Gripshift more of a push :thumbsup:

·
9,790 Posts
OK, so SRAM only make 10s now. That's something to bear in mind.
Are you saying that shifters which work on Shimano MTB gears also work in their road gears ?

As for Gripshifts being junk, in my experience, the only people saying that are the people who haven't tried them. I wouldn't use Centura either. The 8 and 9 speed Attack are excellent on Shimano MTB gears and I would never swap for anything with paddles. Actually, my other bike came with paddles, but when I hit a tree the paddles broke which gave me a good excuse to buy some Gripshift.

I reckon SRAM think they make more money installing paddles, then selling Gripshift to millions of people too - and sell more paddles to people who break their paddles ... Gripshift are very reliable and very difficult to break ... SRAM make more money by not giving Gripshift more of a push :thumbsup:

Attack shifters no longer exist, except as NOS in some shop somewhere. The only Shimano-compatible shifters left are the MRX ones which are cheap crap. New, good SRAM twist shifters cost as much as their trigger-operated brothers and have shed all of the plastic parts that made them feel cheap.

I started as a Sachs twist shifter user in the 90s, switched to SRAM/GripShift when they bought Sachs, and then switched to their trigger shifters when they made their first ones. I haven't even considered twist shifters since then; except on a hybrid or comfort bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took off my Sachs shifters about 6 months ago - they lasted 16 years. Now I have Attack. They are now hard to find in the UK, but oddly they are still on the SRAM website Twister Shifters | SRAM Mountain | SRAM

I had a feeling they were disappearing. And there is no 10 speed Gripshift for Shimano. So it's beginning to look as if I need to go for SRAM gears.

So, most hybrids have Shimano gears, which narrows the field.
Most SRAM hybrids have road gears, which narrows the field even more.
And it could mean that I will need to go for 10 speed.
I need to review my shortlist ...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One more thing ... the "plastic parts that made them feel cheap" ... my Attack on Shimano gears sound much better than the X7 on SRAM gears. The X7 give a big plastic clunk on every gear change. Maybe they will settle down when I's used that bike a bit more.

I've long thought it odd that SRAM bang on about 1:1 being better than 2:1 but the Shimano version seems smoother ...

·
9,790 Posts
I took off my Sachs shifters about 6 months ago - they lasted 16 years. Now I have Attack. They are now hard to find in the UK, but oddly they are still on the SRAM website Twister Shifters | SRAM Mountain | SRAM

I had a feeling they were disappearing. And there is no 10 speed Gripshift for Shimano. So it's beginning to look as if I need to go for SRAM gears.

So, most hybrids have Shimano gears, which narrows the field.
Most SRAM hybrids have road gears, which narrows the field even more.
And it could mean that I will need to go for 10 speed.
I need to review my shortlist ...
I have 3 new sets of Sachs Extremes hoarded away for a rainy day....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I now see that there are sporty hybrid bikes with SRAM Apex and Rival road gears, but SRAM MTB X5 or X7 shifters. This appears to mean that Gripshift will work on SRAM road derailleurs ...

·
9,790 Posts
I now see that there are sporty hybrid bikes with SRAM Apex and Rival road gears, but SRAM MTB X5 or X7 shifters. This appears to mean that Gripshift will work on SRAM road derailleurs ...
SRAM says no. My experience says yes.

If you haven't tried the upper-line grip shifters (X0, XX), you really should. BIG difference in feel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There are quite a few examples of X5 and X7 shifters with road gears so I don't see why the Gripshift shouldn't work with road gears.

If 10 is th ebe the minimum shortly, then I could be using an X0 or XX Gripshift ...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.