Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My gramma came home today and wanted some fresh biscuits with jelly. So I made some from scratch, and then decided a bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit sounded good. So fried a couple of eggs, sliced some cheddar, fried some bacon. Had my biscuit. Then I got a craving for grits, so I made up some of those. I love breakfast for dinner. I think this is a comfort food thing.

Also, I'd been working all day on some curtains that I finished wholla go, and I moved out the old washer, moved in and hooked up the new one yesterday. I feel like a domestic goddess.

But mostly this was supposed to be about food.

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I will have to go there next time I'm in Atlanta (should be a couple of weeks). What's the place called?

And yeah, I've never made sweet grits. The only kind we ever ate growing up were the cheesy ones, so they hold a special place in my heart (and tummy).

·
Registered
483 Posts
Gig 'em said:
I love breakfast for dinner. I think this is a comfort food thing.

Breakfast for dinner is one of my favorite meals. Usualy I have pancakes, eggs, and toast. Home fries if I'm feeling motivated.

Not only is it great food but when I cook it for dinner I'm not rushed. I don't get many days off so I don't have a lot of time in the morning.

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
Gig 'em said:
My gramma came home today and wanted some fresh biscuits with jelly. So I made some from scratch, and then decided a bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit sounded good. So fried a couple of eggs, sliced some cheddar, fried some bacon. Had my biscuit. Then I got a craving for grits, so I made up some of those. I love breakfast for dinner. I think this is a comfort food thing.

Also, I'd been working all day on some curtains that I finished wholla go, and I moved out the old washer, moved in and hooked up the new one yesterday. I feel like a domestic goddess.

Grits are to DIE for, especially cheesy ones. There's a place in Decatur, GA that fries its cheesy grits into little patties... those rock. You are right about comfort food. HMMMMM

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
Gig 'em said:

grits with sugar and fresh ground black pepper = mmmmm!

i like french toast with thick-sliced "texas toast" and soy sausage links. with fresh strawberries and molasses. for dinner.

another nice comfy food dinner: grilled cheese with double cheese and too much butter in the pan, kosher dill pickle slices in the sammiches, and tomato soup. or shrimp bisque.

mmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On the grilled cheese you have to put a teeeeeeny bit of mustard on the bread before you put the cheese on it. Brings out the flavor.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
Gig 'em said:
On the grilled cheese you have to put a teeeeeeny bit of mustard on the bread before you put the cheese on it. Brings out the flavor.
yellow or the fancy stuff?

bet horseradish would make it blow up!

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just plain yellow. You can't put fancy mustard on grilled cheese. That's sacrilege.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,215 Posts
haiku d'etat said:
i like french toast with thick-sliced "texas toast"
I will give you this advice. Find something called "King's Hawaiian Bread" and make french toast with that. The stuff stays fresh for a long time, so slice it and let it dry overnight for best results. The recipe on the bag is good, or use your own.

You will thank me.

·
imbasilical moreon
1,873 Posts
Shrimp & Grits.................

..... for breakfast, lunch and dinner.......I could eat it 3 times a day...

sometimes with Andoullie Sausage too, sometimes 'shrooms and always hot sauce.....

If Power Bar could only do a Shrimp & Grits bar .....that would be the $h!t

JJ
Lizard Lick, NC...where grits is good

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
dr hoo said:
I will give you this advice. Find something called "King's Hawaiian Bread" and make french toast with that. The stuff stays fresh for a long time, so slice it and let it dry overnight for best results. The recipe on the bag is good, or use your own.

You will thank me.
this is memphis, good luck on finding that. but if i do, i'll do it...

i've made the best french toast with fresh-baked bread (unsliced loaves) from the bakery. particularly onion bread and others with cheese in them. and i can also make a savory french toast: done traditional on the stovetop, then wrapped and stuffed and cooked in the oven.

remember, i dated one of the world's best professional chefs. :) and :(

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
Gig 'em said:
Just plain yellow. You can't put fancy mustard on grilled cheese. That's sacrilege.
naw, you can do lots of stuff with french toast. but i would prefer to follow your directions and hit it straight and narrow with a wee bit of the standard yellow mustard and see what comes of it. sounds nice. plus pickles. and maybe a sauteed slice or two of tomato. :)

thx.

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Whos' talkin' about french toast? I'm talkin' about grilled cheese... sammich!

·
gazing from the shadows
27,215 Posts
Memphis is way bigger than my burg, and we have it. Look by the deli as well as the bread aisle.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
How can you tolerate grits...........

Gig 'em said:

Barf, Barf....maybe the most tastless food in the world.

Add cheese, and they taste like........cheese.

What a waste of calories.

IMO

Len

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nooo. They taste like grits with cheese. If you don't like 'em, you probably had bad ones. They're just flakes of corn. Yum yum.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
Gig 'em said:
Whos' talkin' about french toast? I'm talkin' about grilled cheese... sammich!
open yer mind. french toast is like...nectar of the gawds and like that. when done correctly. i also use powdered (confectioner's) sugar on my FT. something not to be missed. :)

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
dr hoo said:
Memphis is way bigger than my burg, and we have it. Look by the deli as well as the bread aisle.
will do...but...remember, we are the official US center of lack of culture.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
Gig 'em said:
Nooo. They taste like grits with cheese. If you don't like 'em, you probably had bad ones. They're just flakes of corn. Yum yum.
agree. Len, you have to have them at a southern dive where you're scared to get out of your car and even more afraid to leave your car locked in the lot, in plain site of the window where you're sitting. good stuff. grits ain't real good unless they put way to much butter in and it's sitting in a layer on top. mmmmmmmm! /love grits!!!

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
I've never had grits but I've had a craving for cream chipped beef lately. With homefries and toast.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts