Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Rollin' Stones
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone happen to catch the "grizzlyman" documentary on Discovery? It was pretty intense. Guy loves grizzly bears, guy lives with grizzly bears, guy gets eaten by grizzly bears. NTTAWWT. We've been talking about it at work a lot. it's worth a look.

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
I enjoyed that movie. Supposedly his "downward spiral" (if you want to call it that) began when he came in 2nd in auditions for the bartender in Cheers. The guy was wacked. But I liked him - we need more freespirited people like that in this world (OK maybe not that freespirited).

how about that scene where he goes off on the park service?!?!

·
It's all ball bearings
5,258 Posts
yeah, i saw it in the theater last summer when it came out and didn't like it that time I saw it. I couldn't get past how much of a kook job he was, and all the people they interview (his friends) all had something subtly weird going about themselves too. Even the coroner was f'in odd. Initially, I just wrote the guy off as a wacko who was crossing a boundary that nature never intended man to cross. He said how much he loved the bears and was essentially one of them, but apparently the bears didn't feel that way.

That all said, I saw it again on Discovery a couple weeks ago and really came away with a different, more respectful view of the guy. Yeah I still thought he was out there, but I could at least appreciate his motives and position more this time around. But I still maintain that he was crossing a boundary that should never be crossed. Even that native guy who they interviewed said that his people who lived among the bears and other animals had never tried to cross that line in their tens of thousands of years of existance.

Okay, i just rolled out of bed so if this post doesn't make sense, disregard. :)

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
cydswipe said:
Did anyone happen to catch the "grizzlyman" documentary on Discovery? It was pretty intense. Guy loves grizzly bears, guy lives with grizzly bears, guy gets eaten by grizzly bears. NTTAWWT. We've been talking about it at work a lot. it's worth a look.
I've seen it a couple times. I saw it in the theatre and then rented the DVD. The DVD had a one hour part on the soundtrack and Richard Thompson played a big part in it. Timothy Treadwell was one strange guy.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
I've seen it twice. To say that Treadwell was a bit over the top would be a serious understatement.

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
cydswipe said:
I thought this would be about Hickey or the J's.

·
Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
BenWA said:
But I still maintain that he was crossing a boundary that should never be crossed. Even that native guy who they interviewed said that his people who lived among the bears and other animals had never tried to cross that line in their tens of thousands of years of existance.
He was crossing the line, big time. People told him that again and again even when he was alive. To me, it seems obvious that he was mentally ill. His friends are all still in denial when they talk about him, as if a guy who would actually walk up and try to pet bears was just a little eccentric. You also can't discount all his history showing other self-destructive tendencies such as his drug problems.

The documentary is definitely worth watching.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Seen it...

Nice story...

To bad he died...

As much as he has done for wildlife conservation during his short life.. imagine what he could have done if he did not die at such a young age...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts