Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I want to start grocery shopping using my bike. Is a back pack the best way to go? Or do you use saddle bags? I have a family of 4 so I have no issue going a few times a week...

Store is only 3 miles away and it figure it is a good way to get additional miles in per week...

· Registered
433 Posts
Muaythaibike said:
Ok, I want to start grocery shopping using my bike. Is a back pack the best way to go? Or do you use saddle bags? I have a family of 4 so I have no issue going a few times a week...

Store is only 3 miles away and it figure it is a good way to get additional miles in per week...
I use panniers, if you are shopping for the whole family I would pick up a used trailer, I see them for $50 all the time in CL

· Registered
5,525 Posts
It depends on what bike set-ups you have. A pair of open-topped grocery panniers work very well to carry the equivalent of two large-ish grocery bags. For more capacity you can bring straps to secure any larger items to the top of the rack.

Last night I brought home a gallon of milk, a quart of ice cream, a liter of olive oil, 3 cans of frozen OJ, a jar of mayo, a box of cereal and plums in my Chrome messenger bag. That was not an ideal load...

For a family of 4 I'd lean toward a rear rack and panniers, if not a trailer... A backpack would be pushing it...

· Registered
5,238 Posts
... I've been able to carry groceries and a 25lb bag o pet food... on the back of my recumbent (old Vision VR 42 with a seat pack and straps...

Indeed, one of the benefits of my recumbent is relative safety in leaving it parked unlock'd (for short periods of time) outside as most folks think it's unridable!

· Registered
1,055 Posts
We have started once again grocery shopping by bike. Our route is a 12km round trip that is pretty flat. Years ago we did it with Panniers and small cooler bag that would get bungied to my rack. This set up was a bit of a pain because of the weight it added to the back of the bike. It through off the whole handling.

Now we use a trailer that easily fits everything we need and is a lot easier to pull around, considering the weight.

· Have good, get give
964 Posts
I see a dude using a homeade trailer rig. Basically a souped up wagon hitched to the down tube. I'll take a pic of it if I see another one. He's also got a cool concept in there where he sort of puts his food in a "hammock" of sorts to prevent them from getting too shook up. Hard to describe.

· Lexicon Devil
964 Posts
I have a Chrome Sultan that I use for this purpose, in addition to its other main purpose – haulin' beers (lots of them) and kit to races. I also use it for light backpacking, too.

It holds A LOT, but it can get pretty small and manageable for when you don't need all the room. Check it out!

· Island Hopping cyclist
530 Posts
A trailer is your friend. My family ended up carless for a few months when we lived in Hilton Head, SC, which has miles of MUPs. Every three to four days I would go to the Piggly Wiggly and buy groceries with the trailer I had just bought for my son.

· Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
I use a regular backpack, and do multiple trips throughout the week.

I thought about buying panniers and racks, Trek Interchange specifically is made for grocery paper bag, which I really thought about buying, but I still haven't.

Grocery store is about 5 miles from my place, and it's too good to ride around the lake every single time passing it twice.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.