Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wins World Cup as Wellens is not able to compete from last weeks injury and Nijs gets robbed by fellow Belgians. Happened in Holland (again) and Nijs got no help from countrymen, they actually outspinted him for 5-7th and robbed him of the Cup. Nijs complained bitterly and said "I won't help my countrymen for this!" (I'm sorry but I don't think he's 'helped nationally' since he was an Espoir.No offense Sven but payback is a
B*%TCH! I knew it would happen at some point, I thought it would be at the WC but Sven was a non-threat. He should just change to Dutch citizenship. :).

·
Registered
405 Posts
atpjunkie said:
He should just change to Dutch citizenship. :).
Dutch, I think anyone would be happy to give him a passport if he asked. How about the Brits or hell he could be JP's teammate. He could claim political asylum I'm sure Bush would let him in!

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hell Bush doesn't care for a bunch of skinny, shaved legged bicyclists (unless they are from Texas: Lance Armstrong) it's funny the articles..."sven is just whining" it's as if he expects his counrtymen to let him beat them. If he hasn't figured he's viewed as a traitor by the majority of BELGIAN fans and racers for that WC hijinks he's severely delusional.

·
Registered
405 Posts
atpjunkie said:
hell Bush doesn't care for a bunch of skinny, shaved legged bicyclists (unless they are from Texas: Lance Armstrong)
Think youre onto something here, make Sven a Texan not an American then Lance can teach him the "longhorn" sign and how to raise the roof (if you have read his new book Evey second counts you know what I mean) also LA is a super crosser (according to his website after he won his only CX race couple of years ago + his off roading in the TDF last year) he could be Svens team mate.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Texans are like Bretons and have as much in common with America as the Bretons do with France. I assume there is an equivalent in the UK....my guess the Scots or my ancestors the Welsh. Really Sven should go "Dutch" he rides for Dutch team and helps a Dutchman win the worlds by sitting on his fellow countrymen. If you are familiar with the cx rivalry between these 2 countries you would se how Belgians see /saw this as high treason. Sven chose to ride for his paycheck rather than his country on the day when Trade allegiances are supposed to be forgot. In the last 2 road WC's this year we saw fellow Spaniards(03) and Italians (02) of different Trade teams working together for their country. Sven chose the opposite and IMHO will be cursed for the rest of his career.

·
Registered
270 Posts
next year

i think (hope) that next year the (new extended 14 race) world cup with not be contested by national teams. If Sven was riding for his trade team on sunday then he did a good job and his teammate won the overall and the race......

·
Registered
405 Posts
Weve got lots of em'

atpjunkie said:
I assume there is an equivalent in the UK....my guess the Scots or my ancestors the Welsh. QUOTE] Hell yeah, where to begin the Welsh , the Scots, the Irish even Manchester wants to seperate ala Quebec. Funny how the Scots want nothing to do with U.K but will happily accept their money, medical assistance etc.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
he rode for Trade Team last week in the world Cup. He also rode for trade team in the 2000 World Championships (where his curse began). So he rides for his trade team but then expects his countrymen to not ride for theirs or themselves. It must be all about Sven in Svens world

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so you must be in Quebec. I say let them go, actually the Acadians are some of the only French descendents I can stand. It was those French Canucks that became the Cajuns in Louisiana. I'm no chest pounding, flag waving, love it or leave it American but I still enjoy a good frog thumping. "French Military Rifle for sale, Shot Once, Dropped Once, white Flag still attached"..Q: why so many trees on the Champs Elysses?
A: so the Germans can march in the shade....
and so on.
So how is it being an English descendent in quebec?

·
Registered
405 Posts
atpjunkie said:
so you must be in Quebec. So how is it being an English descendent in quebec?
Why the assumption I am in Quebec? only ever been there on vacation, oooh the women in Montreal but I digress. No Ontario, just outside our capital (Provincial ) Toronto, flat as a pancake and windy as hell nestled between 3 of the great lakes - talk about a wind chill.

Quebec does have some of the best roadies in the country though, I assume this is due to their Euro heritage (or at least beliefs)

I feel for the staunch Anglophones holed up in tiny communities surrounded by francophones, you read about some ferocious verbal battles between the two.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dreww said:
Why the assumption I am in Quebec?
must have mixed you with one of the other hockey tapers...sorry.
Toronto is a great city. Too freakin' cold for me this time of year.

·
Registered
353 Posts
atpjunkie said:
dreww said:
Why the assumption I am in Quebec?
must have mixed you with one of the other hockey tapers...sorry.
Toronto is a great city. Too freakin' cold for me this time of year.
I'm the Montreal Canadiens fan who lives in Montreal! They won last night :)

As for the great language debate in La Belle Province, it's more talk than anything else, IMHO. I cannot understand what the great harm is in learning & conversing in a 2nd language. If you look at the top politicians advocating french only, you would be surprised to find out that there own children have been educated in English in the top US & UK universities. So, it is a bit of a double standard by trapping the "uneducated" masses in a French only environment, for whatever reason, it is deemed "too hard" learn english. Looking at the ethics, neither French or English descent (referred to as Allophones, from the country of Allo? I suppose), then you are talking about being trilingual, the official 2 languages + the mother tongue (Cantonese, in my case) That's my $0.02 worth in politics.

Back to what this forum is for, CX & cycling! As for the great cyclists in this province, the terrain is varied and you can stay in the flats or train in the hilly or mountain (depending on how you see it) areas.
My 1st duathlon was in the St.Sauver area in the Laurentian region & the riding portion was never flat once, either you were speeding down a hill or climbing. Of course, it was the reverse on the way back to the transition area. Did that one using CX tires, big mistake. but live & learn.

Back to shovelling snow tommorrow, ... sigh.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts