Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Schuylkill Trail Bum
5,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some ground bees just moved into my back yard. The aggressive little bastards tried to sting my dog, and one got in my wife's hair.

So I need kill the son of a beeches.

I have Hot Shot, and have used it on nests of aggressive bees and wasps I can see, but not on ground bees. Also, I really hate using poison of any kind, and see it as the last of the last resorts.

My grandfather dealt with ground bees by pouring lots of gasoline down their hole at night, letting it soak in for a few minutes, then throwing a match in the hole. The bees that didn't burn to death in their beds would come flying out or stumbling out, on fire. Pop Pop may have had some anger issues.

So I'm looking for suggestions: fire? poison? or tell the dog and wife to harden the eff up?

·
Neophyte
2,190 Posts
Your firearms are useless against them.

You sound like a competent do-it-yourselfer, but any real aversion to calling the exterminator on this one? Aside from the fact that he's probably going to use super-poison or something?

·
Schuylkill Trail Bum
5,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your firearms are useless against them.

You sound like a competent do-it-yourselfer, but any real aversion to calling the exterminator on this one? Aside from the fact that he's probably going to use super-poison or something?
I'm a DIY guy.

I'd probably only call an exterminator for something like discovering a nest of half a million brown recluse spiders in my attic... something of horror movie dimensions.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
No advice on eliminating them, but a decent story. Home on break from college, I was mowing my parent's lawn. No shoes, no shirt. Ran over a nest of ground bees. I must have gotten stung 50-100 times. I had to run about 50 yards to jump in the pool and those little bastards were stinging me the whole way.

·
Schuylkill Trail Bum
5,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No advice on eliminating them, but a decent story. Home on break from college, I was mowing my parent's lawn. No shoes, no shirt. Ran over a nest of ground bees. I must have gotten stung 50-100 times. I had to run about 50 yards to jump in the pool and those little bastards were stinging me the whole way.
They seem to have a major beef with anybody who gets near their nest.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
article said:
Ground bees nest in dry soil, and avoid damp areas when choosing nest sites. The easiest and least toxic method of controlling ground bees is simply to water the area. As soon as you see ground bee activity, start soaking the area with a full inch of water per week. This is usually enough to discourage the burrowing females, and to make them relocate to drier ground. A thick layer of mulch on bare garden beds will also make ground bees think twice about nesting there.
How to Identify and Control Ground Bees

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
I was mowing my parent's lawn. I had to run about 50 yards to jump in the pool and those little bastards were stinging me the whole way.
Same thing happened to me without the stinging. When I ran away the mower was right over the hole and may have chopped up a few.
Turned out that an old tree stump was covered with a couple inches of dirt and left a big cavity as it rotted away.

I used a whole can of that long-distance bee/wasp spray. Started about 12 feet away, walked forward and emptied the can right in the hole. Worked great, they never came back and it didn't affect the grass.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
These are wasps, not bees. Most likely yellow-jackets. Attack them at or near dusk. You need to take out the guard wasp first, or they will swarm you. This is best done by putting on as much clothing and face protection as possible, and then getting at least two cans of wasp spray. Plan an escape if something goes really wrong. Then take out the guard, and pump the whole can into the hole. Then come back in an hour and pump the second can in the hole. If you live where forest fires aren't a huge threat, consider filling the hole with gasoline and igniting it.

The best long-term solution is to poison the queen. Get this: https://www.amazon.com/Onslaught-Micro-encapsulated-Insecticide-Concentrate-MGK1002/dp/B004HD7J2S

·
Registered
489 Posts
This works and is relatively environmentally friendly:

Buy a quart size bottle of 90% isopropyl alcohol (Wally World has them). Go out at night, open the bottle, shove the top of it in the hole; leave the bottle there and move quickly away from the nest.

Of course, unlike gasoline; IPA will readily breakdown in the soil.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Agree with wgscott....sounds like yellow jackets. These lil shi$$s will only get more aggressive in late summer. I'm talking real aggressive and the stings are very painful. I have developed an allergic reaction to the stings. Do you know the location of the hole?? And, more importantly, is it accessible and have an escape route for you?? Having had several bad encounters with the buggers, I would simply get a cup of gas and poor it down the hole at dusk as others have mentioned....it will be over quickly and you won't be paranoid about walking around in your yard.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts

·
Farmguy
573 Posts

Buy a quart size bottle of 90% isopropyl alcohol (Wally World has them). Go out at night, open the bottle, shove the top of it in the hole; leave the bottle there and move quickly away from the nest.

Gas break down faster than hell with a match!

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
i returned home from vacation in Montana last Wednesday and decided the lawn needed mowing on Thursday. There was no yellowjacket nest in the ground when we left 10 days earlier, but when I ran the lawnmower over the hole (a former mole tunnel) they attacked. Lucky I was only stung four times.

I had a can of bee and wasp killer spray in the basement. Friday morning I sprayed the whole can into the hole. Problem solved. I don't like using toxics, but I go full tilt chemical warfare on mosquitoes, yellow jackets, and wasps. Fast forward to this afternoon and the neighbor tells me he got stung mowing his lawn just a couple feet from my fence that separates our yards. I'll swing by Lowes tomorrow and buy a couple more cans so we can go all Apocolypse Now on those little buggers.

Speaking of yard pests, the damn yard rodents - blacktail deer - have defeated my back yard fence six times this spring and summer. I fix one spot, and they find or make another. Deer spray is out of the question (tried it and didn't work), so I'm considering inviting all the bow hunters I know to sit on my elevated deck with their morning coffee and rain their arrows down on those formerly cute yard decorations. We're gonna' be wading in deer blood in the back yard come September.

Moles, yellow jackets, deer! This country living is hard work!

·
Eddy 53:11
3,165 Posts

I've done this exact method except with jet fuel (diesel). No need to light a match unless you wanna go big as the diesel kills them easily on contact. Great and instant results.

·
Registered
525 Posts
May also be what are known as pygmy wasps down South. I got hit once while mowing the yard. Little buggers came boiling out of the ground like crazy. I got hit a few times. Not fun. As I recall, I used gasoline.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.