Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Group ride ettiqutte

830 views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  merckx_rider 
#1 ·
I joined a recreation cycling club this year. I have gotten to the point where I can keep up with the fast group. I am getting ready to do some metric and standard centuries later this year. Because of my work and family schedule I am having a hard time getting out during the week. My group has some moderate paced rides in the evening. I feel more comfortable in a group after dark because 6 blinkies are harder to ignore than one.

The pace on these rides is 2-4 mph slower than what I ride on the weekends. Is it bad form to be doing high cadence and one leg drills while on a ride? There are not any hills to attack and I don't think there is anyone else wanting to do any sprints.

#3 ·
nothing wrong with high-cadence work, but I'd say NO to one-leg drills if you're actually in the group. Not too safe, as you're not necessarily in a position to react/brake quickly if something happens in the group. You'll have some 'splaining to do if you take somebody down because you're out of sync with the group.

Maybe it's possible to drop off the back by yourself and do some drills/intervals while catching up? Sounds a bit like the group rides may just need to be recovery rides for you.

#4 ·
Unless the group ride is meant to be a training ride for the group, it seems silly to me to go on it and do training. Feels like going to a rock concert and sitting in the back and listening to classical music on an mp3 player.

Do your training before and then just enjoy the group ride.

Having said that, training that fits into a normal ride would be fine IMHO such as spinning at a higher cadence.

#9 ·
enjoy the ride with the others, you'll have plenty of time for training by yourself if you really want that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.