Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't ride in groups often. Occasionally with a couple of friends (known each other a long time). I'm not up to speed on all of the etiquette and hand signs when riding in a tight group.

I rode a local organized charity ride this last weekend. 2000 or so participants. All varying degrees of experience and fitness. At one point, I was loosely grouped with some fairly fast riders, and whenever we approached a stop (traffic light, stop sign, etc...), there were two guys in this group that would unclip and stick one leg WAAAY out to the side, nigh on horizontal, as they came to a stop, then put their foot down. The both did it multiple times. I was hoping to ask them about it at one of the feed stops, but we got separated and I never saw them again.

Did I miss an advanced class on group riding etiquette? Is this 'leg out to the side' thing some kind of warning to following riders?

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Never heard of that one, probably looked silly as hell.
Pretty common on motorcycles to signal a road hazard, and even then it's not nearly horizontal.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,443 Posts
This is one of many reasons I don't ride with large groups of riders. It only takes one clueless person to ruin the day for many others behind and around that one rider.

Best to give this person a wide berth.

·
Registered
11,089 Posts
huh...?

what's the point of that move?

almost as goofy as unclipping both feet at a stop.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
2000 participants is not a "group ride" in the sense that that term gets used by road cyclists.

I think the technical term for rides that big is clusterfck. Not to imply that anyone who does charity rides is clueless but it's not a good place to look for examples of how to ride in a group.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,443 Posts
2000 participants is not a "group ride" in the sense that that term gets used by road cyclists.

I think the technical term for rides that big is clusterfck. Not to imply that anyone who does charity rides is clueless but it's not a good place to look for examples of how to ride in a group.
Not just charity rides, but most of these large special events will attract cyclists of all types including the ones who haven't been on their bikes in 2 years. "I'm going to get that bike out of the basement and do this ride. Does it still work? Hey, the tires are flat! I can't believe it, I just aired them up 2 years ago!"

·
Banned
748 Posts
Yes. It's a warning to other riders that they are morons. Don't ride with them. Your welcome.
That's not fair!!!! I had to clean the keyboard,, Thanks!!!!

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,962 Posts
I read the thread title...for some reason I imagined a dog at a fire hydrant.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
I was going to suggest it was territory marking or a universal signal of the need to take a leak, but clearly I am (as usual) too slow.

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
extra wind resistance for scrubbing speed.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts