Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Location recommendations?

Thanks for the informative link!

What part of town in Tucson is a good area to base oneself out of- the NW, central, Southeast? Close proximity to good roads for training and especially the mountains is important.

Any advice would be extremely helpful!

· Registered
98 Posts
Did you say mountain ride?

Tex,

You are trully in for a great surprise! Mt. Lemmon is one of the best pure climbing mountains that I personally have done (In the States). It is 27 miles of steady climbing that is recommended to do in the early a.m. during the summer months. They (Tucson) have a very strong group training ride that goes out early Saturday morning. Gord Frasier shows up for it occasionally as well as other pros. So you are in luck...have fun.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the insight Mootinator. I am motivated to improve my climbing and I need to relocate to an area that is within close vicinity of a diverse mountain range. It may be only for the winter so that I can build my base and train uninterrupted. Mr. Fraser is awesome, one superb pro athlete for sure..

Now, any recommendations on what part of town to base myself out of?

· Banned
2,767 Posts
bigtex said:
Thank you for the insight Mootinator. I am motivated to improve my climbing and I need to relocate to an area that is within close vicinity of a diverse mountain range. It may be only for the winter so that I can build my base and train uninterrupted. Mr. Fraser is awesome, one superb pro athlete for sure..

Now, any recommendations on what part of town to base myself out of?
I guess it depends on what you want for living. I live on the NW side (Oro Valley). Everything is accessible, although if I do Mt Lemmon, it's a 110 mile round trip from the homestead. If you live 'round the University, you'll have easy access to everything. Also, besides Mt. Lemmon, there's plenty of climbing to be done here: there are several cool climbs in the Tucson Mtns (west of Tucson); the loop through Saguarro Nat'l Park East (Rincon Mtns, east of Tucson); there are always the Santa Rita Mtns to the South. Those are just the mountains immediately around Tucson. You don't have to go far to find others.

Pretty much any ride you do in Tucson will involve some climbing. Tucson is far from flat.

· your god hates me
1,605 Posts
My folks live in the north-east part of town, which is quite convenient to Mt Lemmon. But as alienator points out, *anywhere* in Tucson is near challenging biking.

Heck, even if you live smack dab in the dead center of town, negotiating that rush hour traffic is one of the hardest rides I've ever had to do!

· Administrator
13,152 Posts
Kitts Peak was my favorite ride out there even more then Mount Lemon.

:)

· Registered
227 Posts
I'm on the south east side of town. About 13 miles from home to the base of Mt Lemon and about 5 miles from the East Monument. There are numerous routes from where I live and most on decent roads with a fair to good bike lane.

· Registered
21 Posts
I agree with others that you can easily get to good riding and climbing from just about anywhere in town. This link might give you a sense of that. It is someone's personal link of routes around Tucson. Maps for all of them and some descriptions.

http://psy1.psych.arizona.edu/cgi-bin/megahurtz

Personally, if I was moving to Tucson with a family I would look to the NW (Oro Valley) or North (Catalina foothills) parts of town and if I was single I would find some place near U of A. But that is very much my personal opinion.

· Registered
37 Posts
Falstaff said:
I agree with others that you can easily get to good riding and climbing from just about anywhere in town. This link might give you a sense of that. It is someone's personal link of routes around Tucson. Maps for all of them and some descriptions.

http://psy1.psych.arizona.edu/cgi-bin/megahurtz

Personally, if I was moving to Tucson with a family I would look to the NW (Oro Valley) or North (Catalina foothills) parts of town and if I was single I would find some place near U of A. But that is very much my personal opinion.

Thanks for that awesome link. Just what i need as I just moved to the Tucson area and don't know my way around at all. Some great rides all mapped out and ready to try.

· Banned
2,767 Posts
bigtex said:
How bad is the traffic in and around Tucson at various times of the day? Is it enough to be concerned about?
During rush hour there are a few roads that are pretty crowded, but those roads are easy to avoid. Out where the fun rides are, traffic isn't really a problem. So I guess my answer is that traffic isn't something to be overly concerned about.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.