Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, second group ride last night and the only thing bothered me is people keep yelling stuff and I don't hear them because of wind ... sometimes I thought I would hear them, but had no idea what they were talking about.

Can you all go over some of the commands / warnings you might hear in a group ride?

I did hear "Car Back" and "Hole!!" several times those are self explanatory.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Every group is different. Most call out obstructions, like sand, gravel, or water in a turn or glass, roadkill, trash in the route and pass it back through the group. You'll figure your group out soon enough and it will become second nature when riding with them. Others will just do it by hand signals by pointing in direction of the obstruction and moving aside. Pay close attention if with the latter type of group as they don't always pass the signals all the way to the back of the group and, if you are there, you might not see the obstruction until too late. Happened to me about a year ago, there was a piece of concrete block on the route about the size of a pack of cigarettes that wasn't pointed out by all ahead of me and I hit it straight on.... resulting in a bad crash and ambulance ride to the ER. Since then, I've been very careful and I haven't gone down again either.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have been watching the Tour de France on TV and I learned a new arm signal. If the leader flicks the elbow that means the leader is moving out of the way and the second person should go to the flicked elbow side to lead.

·
Banned
6,492 Posts
"Marsupial" means "Dead possum on road."

You hear that a lot in the Wine Country Century around Napa. Lots of possums there, and their primary defense mechanism, playing dead, is ineffective against cars.
Generally you can get an idea what people are saying by the way they react, edging away from the shoulder or moving to one side or the other. The commands are mostly pretty simple: "Gravel," "hole," whatever. Just being alerted that something's going on is what's important.
I did hear a new one last summer, though. Can you guess what, "AAAHHHH, rattlesnake!" means?

·
P=NP?
263 Posts
Other important ones I frequently use/hear:
Rider Right,
Glass,
Car Back,
Car Up (for when there's a car coming towards and the road is narrow),
Slowing,
On your right/left (say when coming up into narrow space so the person doesn't swing into you, especially helpful when going into a corner at speed),
Often the name of the hazard like bump, bottle, gravel, rocks, runner, etc.

·
haole from the mainland
5,966 Posts
Going. For use when the light turns yellow & you're going. To let the folks behind you know you will not be slamming on your brakes, potentially causing an accident. Not an invitation for a large group to go through when the light turns red.

Runner up. Runner in the bike lane. Usually means get to the left a bit.

Non-verbal:

Elbow flick. Already mentioned. Used in the paceline to indicate your pull is done.

Arm out to the side pointing. Something in the way; may need to move over a tad.

Pointing down. Using arm to indicate on what side the hazard is.

Swooping motion with your hand behind your back. Somethings in the way, move to the left (or right if that direction is indicated).

Fist behind your back. Stopping.

Open hand behind your back. Slowing.

Pointing up to the sky, or to the traffic light. Going, as the light has turned green. Often used when the group is heading towards a red light and is slowing down. Lets everyone know to pick it up again.

Puka. Hole, if you're in Hawaii.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.