Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya,

I've poured over hundreds of threads and many reviews of different groupsets and how they compare to and against each other. I've come up with this mental image of how they would line up with each other across the big 3 so I decided to put it in a visual format. This is just a general guideline of how I perceive them to be arranged based on all the information I've read and the arguments I've heard. I remember scouring the inets for something like this back when I was starting to learn about groupsets. So I thought having a little tier system providing general rankings/guidelines might be useful for new guys looking to pick their first groupset. By general ranking I’m thinking just roughly where they would line up, I don’t mean to start an all-out battle royale =p. I would very much appreciate any opinions and input! All are welcome! From detailed, experience-based comparisons to a quick reply saying “X group should be at tier #4 .” Thanks!!!

What would you switch around? Just a forum to shoot around ideas!

#
Shimano
SRAM
Campagnolo
Super Record
Dura-Ace
Red
Record
Force
Chorus
Ultegra
Athena
Rival
Centaur
Apex
Veloce
Tiagra
Sora
Claris

***I did not include Di2, EPS, or 10 vs 11 speed into the considerations. I feel like that would add a whole other level to all this. I'd like to consider this just in terms of mechs, performance, weights, asthetics, ergonomics, etc. Thanks!

·
Lost in Space...
3,434 Posts
For starters, Athena and Centaur are equal on almost all counts... so that seems like a trivial distinction. Athena has better chain rings... that's the only edge I can think of.

Why even bother with Sora and Claris on your list? Limit it to 10&11 speed. Otherwise, you might as well include older technology from other brands. Hell, why not include microshift?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol you're totally right. It was more for the sake of appeasing my neuroses of having the full groupsets listed =p. I've had experience with Shimano and SRAM but never Campy and this is the kind of input I'm looking for, thanks! How would you describe the feel of Campy shifting as opposed to the others?

·
Lost in Space...
3,434 Posts
How would you describe the feel of Campy shifting as opposed to the others?
I think it's all personal preference and ergonomics. It's also what you're used to. I think it's a waste of time trying to compare across brands. From a quality of shift perspective, I'm happy with 105, Athena/Centaur/Veloce (integrated shifters are identical-ish) or Rival. I can't speak for the current generation of anything above that. I think that the current Shimano stuff looks like it was invented by Robo-Cop and won't use it based on aesthetics alone.

If you are going to compare, you need to expand the list to reflect model years... the name on the component only tells a part of the story.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glad to hear that I could expect comparable shifting performance even if I were to try out the lower end Campy Veloce/Centaur (only ones that I can see myself affording =p).

I completely agree about the aesthetics of the newer DA/Ultegra levels. I'm not a fan of the 4 arm spider to begin with and the smoothed over, polished look just doesn't do it for me

·
9,790 Posts
I'm probably a little biased, but I'd line them up a little differently.

#ShimanoSRAMCampagnolo
1Super Record
2Record
3Dura-AceRedChorus
4UltegraForceAthena
5RivalCentaur
7ApexVeloce
8Tiagra
9Sora
10Claris
11Touney A070

<tbody>
</tbody>

Reactions: mikerp

·
Bianchi-Campagnolo
3,902 Posts
I'd be willing to give DA9000 a 2, Platy. It's PDG.
SRAM I'd shift down, starting at 4 due to utter crap ergonomics.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Inevitably this thread will go south, but I like PP's adjustment.
You can guess what camp I'm in :)

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,434 Posts
Groupset Ranking Chart (Shimano/SRAM/Campagnolo) Opinions?

Are you talking about cost?......Ego building?........Rich Fred appeal???

Record, Dura Ace, Chorus, and Red all are close.
Untegra, Force, and Centaur are just a little behind in shifting ability, but way behind in Rich Fred appeal.

Any of the above will seldom lose you a race.

·
Registered
411 Posts
#ShimanoSRAMCampagnolo
1Dura-Ace (great shifting & brakes)Super Record (beautiful, but expensive spares)
2Red (so slight weight)Record
3Chorus
4Ultegra
5Force
6105Athena
7TiagraRivalCentaur
8ApexVeloce
9Sora

<tbody>
</tbody>

This is how I rank them from my experience on some of them and reviews on others. As a buyer, I'm thinking about mechanical feel mainly, and secondly aesthetics and weight. I really like the quality feel of my Dura-ace shifters and brakes.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
#ShimanoSRAMCampagnolo
1Dura-Ace (great shifting & brakes)Super Record (beautiful, but expensive spares)
3Chorus
4Ultegra
5Force
6105Athena
7TiagraRivalCentaur
8ApexVeloce
9Sora

<tbody>
</tbody>
As an owner of Record/Super Record mix, and of Dura Ace 9000 Mechanical, I like this chart. The only adjustment I'd make would be to move Ultegra up to #3 - tied with Chorus. Commenting only on the mechanical groupsets because I don't have experience with the electronic versions, neither Campagnolo Super Record/Record or Dura Ace 9000 are perfect (I get more dropped chains with Campy/ I miss the multi shifts on Dura Ace), but they each have exceptional qualities.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
#ShimanoSRAMCampagnolo
3Chorus
4Ultegra
5Force
6105Athena
7TiagraRivalCentaur
8ApexVeloce
9Sora

<tbody>
</tbody>

This is how I rank them from my experience on some of them and reviews on others. As a buyer, I'm thinking about mechanical feel mainly, and secondly aesthetics and weight. I really like the quality feel of my Dura-ace shifters and brakes.
So Campagnolo parts are more expensive? Hogwash. Try repairing your Dura Ace STI's compared to the cost of repairing Super Record. The former is a new PAIR of shifters at £500+ whereas Campagnolo is £90. A record chain is cheaper as are the chainrings. Granted the cassette is expensive, but unlike the 9000 one it runs perfectly with no issues. Campagnolo brake pads are cheaper, as are bottom bracket bearings if you compare like with like, that is standard steel vs standard steel.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
My take on the mechanical groupsets with cable brakes.

#ShimanoSRAMCampagnolo
1Super Record
2Dura AceRed 22Record
3Chorus
5UltegraForce 22Athena
6Centaur
7105RivalVeloce
8TiagraApex
9Sora

<tbody>
</tbody>

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,947 Posts
Isn't right about now in these types of threads when someone will start arguing that Record is better than Super Record because it's more durable?

Oh, I guess that was me!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
So Campagnolo parts are more expensive? Hogwash. Try repairing your Dura Ace STI's compared to the cost of repairing Super Record. The former is a new PAIR of shifters at £500+ whereas Campagnolo is £90. A record chain is cheaper as are the chainrings. Granted the cassette is expensive, but unlike the 9000 one it runs perfectly with no issues. Campagnolo brake pads are cheaper, as are bottom bracket bearings if you compare like with like, that is standard steel vs standard steel.
This is like saying a Ferrari is cheaper to maintain than a Lamborghini.

Both of these groups last a great deal longer than the cycles in which the companies release new updated groups at which time the majority of the owners purchase the new group.

IMO the D/A is every bit Super Record's equal, super in many ways even.

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
Interesting list. I think the reality is that very few of us have enough experience with all these groups to make a objective assessment. For me its just easier to buy Campy anyway

1 - 20 of 106 Posts