Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A craft beer and wine store has opened down the street. They are selling growlers of some very nice beers:

Starr Hill Dark Star Stout; Coronado Islander IPA; The Bruery Orchard White; Stone Oaked Arrogant Bastard; Bell's Amber; Avery Maharaja Imperial IPA

and have a pretty good turnover given the frequency with which they tap new kegs.

I've never done the growler thing. Are they a no-brainer, or am I better of buying some bottles of good stuff? (Beer doesn't last long in my house).

soup

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
What is a growler? I haven't had a drink in a long time so I am clueless.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
As long as you can drink them in a day or two, no problem. As for the value, kinda depends on what they're charging.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
Yeah, if you get through it pretty quick, then a growler can be a perfectly reasonable way to buy beer. It won't keep more than a couple of days, though.

Value is all about how much you like the beer, whether you can finish it before it goes flat, and how it's priced against 12 oz bottles, etc.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
spade2you said:
As long as you can drink them in a day or two, no problem. As for the value, kinda depends on what they're charging.

Two days will not be a problem.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
rward325 said:
What is a growler? I haven't had a drink in a long time so I am clueless.

A growler is a half gallon jug of beer.

joe

·
Proud luddite
7,192 Posts
JoeDaddio said:
A growler is a half gallon jug of beer.

joe
O.k., so at the risk of totally embarrassing myself, I did some of the "new math" and calculated that a half gallon is 64 ounces, the equivalent of about 5 1/2 bottles (12 ounce). Pretty good for a liberal arts guy, huh?

Sounds like it could be a good deal.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
innergel said:
Will they give you a discount if you bring back the bottle for a refill? Since you can buy an empty for $3.50, it makes me think they'll refill for you.
Generally that's how it works. You buy the growler(s) and then re-use them. You only pay for the beer after you have enough growlers to suit your needs.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
I do the growler thing occasionally. It works out to 4 pint glasses full so a $12 growler is the same as buying $3 pints - not bad.

I especially like the glances that I get from hippie girls when I roll by with a few growlers loaded into my BOB trailer - that whole "green" vibe and all.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
a few places back home do growlers. I like it. Last time I picked one up on Halloween and drank it while handing out candy. myself. It was their version of chimay, so I was feeling pretty good.

Around Halloween you can find growlers of dead guy ale. The screened labor glows in the dark. Slick. Tgey also do a growler for 4tg of July.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I've been to Coronado and Stone and got growlers from each. We are trying to get to every brewery in Southern California this summer.

It isn't a bad way to get beer. I think I pay a little less for fills at the source, but you have a place that has a selection. At the breweries they only fill their own growlers, don't really mind though because I have a whole bookcase full of them, they get more attention than books. Oh yea Stone has 1 liter stainless steel canteens that they sell and fill. But it wouldn't fit onto my bottle holder :(

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
teoteoteo said:
I thought growlers are typically a morning thing....

Mud butt?

joe

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
We have a small brewery that opened in my town last fall and they refill growlers for $10 other than their double IPA which is $15. As long as you drink it in a couple of days you're good.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
bike_guy said:
We have a small brewery that opened in my town last fall and they refill growlers for $10 other than their double IPA which is $15. As long as you drink it in a couple of days you're good.
Dang you got it rough. Our local brewery's growlers go for $7, which is a pretty sweet deal if you ask me. I wouldn't say the beer is exceptional, but it's not bad by any means.

·
Bikespace member
4,445 Posts
growlers are fine but local breweries will only fill growlers that they sell with their name on it. they will not fill a growler that doesn't have their brewery logo on it. someone mentioned it was a legal thing. so you may want to check on that if you plan on getting refills. growler refills are cheap. i think Russian River refills a growler of Pliney for like $14.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts