Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm building up a gravel bike. Will have a 650b x 2.1 wheel set, and a 700 x 40 set of tires. I'll replace my road bike, and do some real world road rides and some gravel and some bikepacking/light touring with hills.

It is 1x, with mostly GRX800 series parts.

I can only see Shimano selling the GRX810 cranks in 1x with 40t and 42t rings.

I see Wolftooth sells $85 rings at 36t and 38t.

Is wolf tooth my only option? I'm thinking 11-42 XT cassette and a 38t ring to start. I know for mtb there are many $10 aliexpress rings which would be great to tryout while working out what final ring I want. An $85 experiment is a little pricy.

Thanks.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
16,867 Posts
Ideally, what chainring do you think you will want? If you're really not sure, then yes, go with the cheap ones first. Many options are available:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thus far, I can find:

• GRX 40 or 42 for around $70-75 if you can find stock
  • Wolf tooth 36, 38, 40 ... for $85
  • Absolute black for $100+

Looks like a wolf tooth is my only option for <40t. I may run a mtb crank which I have a collection of rings on to start. I'm surprised that aliexpress doesn't have lots of options yet, in fact the only "cheap" one there is $56 and it a 46t.

I'm leaning towards 38t, but suspecting that maybe I should do a 36t for bikepacking/hardcore gravel, and then a 40t for more road/smoother gravel.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
16,867 Posts
Thus far, I can find:

• GRX 40 or 42 for around $70-75 if you can find stock
  • Wolf tooth 36, 38, 40 ... for $85
  • Absolute black for $100+

Looks like a wolf tooth is my only option for <40t. I may run a mtb crank which I have a collection of rings on to start. I'm surprised that aliexpress doesn't have lots of options yet, in fact the only "cheap" one there is $56 and it a 46t.

I'm leaning towards 38t, but suspecting that maybe I should do a 36t for bikepacking/hardcore gravel, and then a 40t for more road/smoother gravel.
There are Shimano 30T and 32T rings for MTB that are around $25. Not sure you want to have gearing that low, but just saying.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
16,867 Posts
The mountain ones seem to be 96 BCD, and GRX are 110, so they don't fit.

If I don't find a cheaper option this weekend, then I'll just order the 38t or 40t Wolftooth.

Thanks
How about a Shimano 36T subcompact ring? Does the BCD match?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Newb here. I just did this same conversion on my checkpoint sl5. It came with a praxis crank (48/32 chainrings) and a shimano 11-34 cassette. The Praxis crank uses the sram gxp setup, and after doing some research I decided on a 40t direct mount chainring (wolftooth) and a 11-42 SLX cassette. I chose the 40t chainring because I wanted to make sure I had the same climbing gear with the 1x setup as I had with my 2x setup. The 40t chainring and 11 on the cassette still lets me go ~25 mph pretty easily.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the new setup, except I don't care for the cross-chaining as I'm usually cruising on the 15 or 17 cog on the cassette. I just got a cheap chinese 42t chainring to test and see if I like that better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The mountain ones seem to be 96 BCD, and GRX are 110, so they don't fit.
If I don't find a cheaper option this weekend, then I'll just order the 38t or 40t Wolftooth.
Thanks
If you haven't ordered the wolftooth yet, it might be worth ordering a few cheap chinese chainrings to try and make sure what size you like the best. I just took off my 40t wolftooth and put on a 42t and I definitely like the 42t better than the 40t for the typical gravel roads I ride. My chainline is much more straight with the 42t since I'm on a larger cog (more inboard) on the cassette. I still have plenty of climbing gear for where I ride. I decided to get a 44t and give that a try also ($20 ea). I was able to get a GXP-to-104bcd adapter for about $15 and then I can run the cheapy chinese rings. They actually look decent IMO and seem to work well. I'll prob run them for a while and see if I have any issues.

Wheel Tire Bicycle tire Automotive tire Hub gear

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why do you want smaller chainring? Especially if you plan to do some road riding?
I want to get lower gears for climbs, particularly when I'll be carrying some light bikepacking gear at some point. I did get the Wolftooth 36t, which is great. I suspect I'll end up with a couple of chains and rings, and potentially a 2x setup option too.

Thus far, of the 150km I've ridden on the gravel bike, perhaps 30km was gravel.

I'm also going to be doing a cx race on it soon.

Fingers crossed that they'll be some aliexpress GRX bolt spacing rings soon anyway. As at the $10-12 they normally cost, I'd then get a whole range to try out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts