Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I purchased a mountain bike a couple of years ago to a help get back into shape, at the time I purchased a trek 9.6 super fly carbon 2014.
I would now like to get a road bike that Would not be too compromised on the road, but still be ok on cycle paths and bridle ways (as I live on part of the coast to coast route
That said I know nothing about road bikes, I have a local bike shop which I would like to use if possible but only stock GT or Merida.

What I do know is I would like to go with a carbon frame for 2 reasons 1, I need to make sure I can't blame the bike for being bad and 2 with a good frame the bike will last a while with just changing components as and when needed.
If I look at the two makes above this provides me with two choices around 2k the Merida ride disc 5000 and the GT Grande Carbon 105 links below
Would anyone one be able to advise if these are good options at this price point or should I look elsewhere

Buy Merida Ride Disc 5000 2016 - Road Bike at Tredz Bikes. £1,950.00 with free UK delivery

https://www.evanscycles.com/gt-grade-carbon-105-2016-adventure-road-bike-EV240489

·
Registered
21,639 Posts
Hello,
I purchased a mountain bike a couple of years ago to a help get back into shape, at the time I purchased a trek 9.6 super fly carbon 2014.

I would now like to get a road bike that Would not be too compromised on the road, but still be ok on cycle paths and bridle ways (as I live on part of the coast to coast route.

That said I know nothing about road bikes, I have a local bike shop which I would like to use if possible but only stock GT or Merida.

What I do know is I would like to go with a carbon frame for 2 reasons 1, I need to make sure I can't blame the bike for being bad and 2 with a good frame the bike will last a while with just changing components as and when needed.

If I look at the two makes above this provides me with two choices around 2k the Merida ride disc 5000 and the GT Grande Carbon 105 links below.

Would anyone one be able to advise if these are good options at this price point or should I look elsewhere.
The choice between disc and non-disc is a significant one in many people's eyes. You might want to read up on that topic. Some will tell you that the road disc market is driven by the manufacturers rather than by need or that road disc technology is a ways from settling down.

Beyond that, both Merida and GT are comparable brands and at that price point you should get a bike that performs very well. Your desire for a CF frame is not driven by real issues - you can get a good frame from CF, Al, or steel at this price point. Generally bikes are sold with a frame that matches the components, though sometimes you can find a bike line with perhaps three levels of components on the same frame. If cost is a limitation, then buying the bottom bike in that line might be a good choice. However it is rarely cost effective to buy a bike and then start upgrading - performance doesn't improve much and you end up with a bunch of parts in a box.

Ride some bikes. See what feels good and what speaks to you. Then get back to us.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
"a road bike that Would not be too compromised on the road, but still be ok on cycle paths and bridle ways"

Sounds like this might boil down to you're looking for road bike that can take tires bigger then a typical road bike.

My friend has a Grade so I know that takes bigger tires for gravel roads and trails. I don't know about the other one.

A cx bike with a road gearing is another avenue to explore.

Fit is really the most important thing. Then comes handling (for example you probably wouldn't want a super responsive twitchy bike for riding on loose ground).
Focus on fit and taking the tires you'll need/want to use and the rest will fall into place.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Looking at your links, the Merida has compact gearing with a RS chainset, 25 mm tires and disc brakes with 105 levers, the GT has standard gearing with a 105 chainset, 28 mm tires and RS levers. They both have thru axle front hubs, I'm not sure if the Fulcrum wheels are tubeless ready. I would guess that compact gearing with an 11-32 cassette would be adequate, given your description of your riding plans. Just be sure that larger tires would fit on the Merida.
If you are able to test ride these bikes, that might help.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
The choice between disc and non-disc is a significant one in many people's eyes. You might want to read up on that topic. Some will tell you that the road disc market is driven by the manufacturers rather than by need or that road disc technology is a ways from settling down.

Beyond that, both Merida and GT are comparable brands and at that price point you should get a bike that performs very well. Your desire for a CF frame is not driven by real issues - you can get a good frame from CF, Al, or steel at this price point. Generally bikes are sold with a frame that matches the components, though sometimes you can find a bike line with perhaps three levels of components on the same frame. If cost is a limitation, then buying the bottom bike in that line might be a good choice. However it is rarely cost effective to buy a bike and then start upgrading - performance doesn't improve much and you end up with a bunch of parts in a box.

Ride some bikes. See what feels good and what speaks to you. Then get back to us.
This should be a sticky for the "what should I buy" thread.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Looking at your links, the Merida has compact gearing with a RS chainset, 25 mm tires and disc brakes with 105 levers, the GT has standard gearing with a 105 chainset, 28 mm tires and RS levers. They both have thru axle front hubs, I'm not sure if the Fulcrum wheels are tubeless ready. I would guess that compact gearing with an 11-32 cassette would be adequate, given your description of your riding plans. Just be sure that larger tires would fit on the Merida.
If you are able to test ride these bikes, that might help.
Semi-Compact (52/36) I believe. Which, although not quite a 'standard' crank still strikes me as weird and not a good spec. for a bike being marketed as a go anywhere bike.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.