Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older steel guerciotti that I would like to modernize. I plan to have it repainted soon and rebuilt for a "jack of all triads" road bike. Mostly 50mi training rides, maybe some local crits (i realize its not a crit bike) and some local road racing. I am a serious MTBer who likes the road but dose not take it serious - just for training.
Heres is the deal - it has a threaded fork (classic chrome, raked) and quill stem. I would like to get a thread-less system. Maybe i am wrong but it seams like the Quill stems are very flexy. Most of the forks i see for sale are Carbon, composite, straight bladed, or something else I don't want. i am afraid these modern forks are going to mess up the "comfort" of this classic???
I think the ride will benefit from a 31.8 stem and flat top bar. but needs to keep the classic raked fork for some dampening
Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Have a framebuilder build a steel fork with a threadless steer tube. It will cost about the same as a name carbon fork. I destroyed my threaded steel fork in a crash and half of my frame. Had it rebuilt to a threadless. I was surprised at the amount of flex the threaded set-up had. I went from a 14 cm Salsa to a 13 cm Deda Newton(1 inch) and even called the builder about the flex I saw in my fork. Turned out the Salsa stem would flex so muchthe fork didn't get a chance too. The Salsa stem did look cool and was very comfy.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
"Maybe i am wrong but it seams like the Quill stems are very flexy"

I dont race or do crits, but I am 225 lbs and lean on them pretty hard, and I would have to say that is not true at all, at least the ones that I ride..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am not worried about it braking, it has 10+ years of hard riding. But there is a huge difference between my road bike and my cross bike, the cross feels way more solid. The comparison is not apples and apples... the cross has WSC stem, FSA pro wing bars, and EC90 straight bladed composite fork. The cross is totally different, but I like how solid the front feels and would like that on the road.
I am buying new bars for sure, which made my think about upgrading the whole front end.
Didn't know about the Torelli... thanks. Any others?

·
Registered
447 Posts
There is certainly a lot more flex in the older stem/bar setups than in the new. I wouldn't worry too much about the ride comfort so much as a possible change in the handling by switching forks. You would need to find a fork with the same length, rake and trail as the current one or it may screw up the nice handling. I have no experience with them but I would look into the quill adaptors and see if that would work well with your existing fork. You are going to be buying a new stem and bar anyhow and it would be a fairly cheap and easy solution before getting into the new fork business.

·
Reality Star
893 Posts
scout II said:
I have an older steel guerciotti that I would like to modernize. I plan to have it repainted soon and rebuilt for a "jack of all triads" road bike. Mostly 50mi training rides, maybe some local crits (i realize its not a crit bike) and some local road racing. I am a serious MTBer who likes the road but dose not take it serious - just for training.
Heres is the deal - it has a threaded fork (classic chrome, raked) and quill stem. I would like to get a thread-less system. Maybe i am wrong but it seams like the Quill stems are very flexy. Most of the forks i see for sale are Carbon, composite, straight bladed, or something else I don't want. i am afraid these modern forks are going to mess up the "comfort" of this classic???
I think the ride will benefit from a 31.8 stem and flat top bar. but needs to keep the classic raked fork for some dampening
Thoughts?
Why not get a road wheelset from eBay or CL and road tires for your cross bike? There are several internet sites that offer new high quality wheels for a reasonable price. Minimal investment involved and determine if that addresses your situation. That would be much cheaper than a new fork, stem and handlebars.

The Italian steel bike will be worth a lot more if it is all original equipment should you ever decide to sell it. Italian steel vintage or classic bikes are much coveted for the quality of the ride and style. I have two quill stem road bikes and have never noticed any "flex". Maybe have a shop check it over and make sure there isn't a problem with the headset or wheel.

The differences you are perceiving may be due to the wheelset, spoke count and tires. Why don't you post your height and weight. Also some detailed pictures of the Guerciotti so we get a better idea of what the situation is.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts