Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I go back for the "real" appointment on the 27th. Ought to be a good way to get my eating habits back in order.

joe

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
are you getting

scoped????
you're awfully young
hope all is well
the procedure is better than the prep

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
atpjunkie said:
scoped????
you're awfully young
hope all is well
the procedure is better than the prep

All is well so far. Hopefully I can say the same after the 27th!

There's no specific reason I'm going in, other than that have a bad family history when it comes to colon cancer. I'm not having any symptoms or anything like that, it's all precautionary.

My aunt was diagnosed at 16 and was dead at 23. My uncle was diagnosed at 34 or so and dies when he was 40.

I'm lucky in that my dad has been healthy up till this point (his was a couple weeks ago). He has had itty bitty polyps removed, but nothing scary or anything and he's 56. Apparently when colon cancer hits a line of the family there can be incredibly great odds that the children will get cancer. The only way to keep it at bay is to have regular colonoscopys and have polyps removed when they pop up.

The last time I got one I was 16. According to my Dr. I'm way over due. He actually told me today that he'd prefer to see me at least every other year :cryin:

I'm hoping I'm clean. I'm vegetarian, which helps, but there's only so much you can do: genes will win out over any thing else. I'm not really worried about it, but I can't help but have a little anxiousness about the whole thing. Kind of like when you go to get the STD screening and they tell you that they're going to test you for HIV and you freak yourself out thinking you've got AIDS.

joe

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
family history, that clarifies

JoeDaddio said:
All is well so far. Hopefully I can say the same after the 27th!

There's no specific reason I'm going in, other than that have a bad family history when it comes to colon cancer. I'm not having any symptoms or anything like that, it's all precautionary.

My aunt was diagnosed at 16 and was dead at 23. My uncle was diagnosed at 34 or so and dies when he was 40.

I'm lucky in that my dad has been healthy up till this point (his was a couple weeks ago). He has had itty bitty polyps removed, but nothing scary or anything and he's 56. Apparently when colon cancer hits a line of the family there can be incredibly great odds that the children will get cancer. The only way to keep it at bay is to have regular colonoscopys and have polyps removed when they pop up.

The last time I got one I was 16. According to my Dr. I'm way over due. He actually told me today that he'd prefer to see me at least every other year :cryin:

I'm hoping I'm clean. I'm vegetarian, which helps, but there's only so much you can do: genes will win out over any thing else. I'm not really worried about it, but I can't help but have a little anxiousness about the whole thing. Kind of like when you go to get the STD screening and they tell you that they're going to test you for HIV and you freak yourself out thinking you've got AIDS.

joe
I had mine early as well (not as early as you) because my brother had it (he's in remission)

yes folks, this form of cancer should never kill anyone, get tested and it is easily treated in the early phases

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
atpjunkie said:
I had mine early as well (not as early as you) because my brother had it (he's in remission)

yes folks, this form of cancer should never kill anyone, get tested and it is easily treated in the early phases

This.

It's been too long since I've gone, which is the only worrying part for me.

But yes: Colin Cancer is extremely preventable. My doc today couldn't emphasize that enough today. He was practically yelling at me to call my cousins and tell them to make an appointment.

A day out of your life (plus one day spent pooping) is much better than the alternative.

My aunt died before I was born but I was alive wen my uncle was being treated. He was in incredible pain: colostomy bag, catheter,, hospital bed in his house, and a morphine drip that didn't even look like it tok the edge off. I'll never forget being in his house, saying goodbye, and being able to hear him writhe in pain the next room over as I waited for my dad to talk to him.

joe

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
Like root canals, another one of those scary things that turn out to be not so bad. Especially when you consider the alternative.

I love the drugs, "Gee, this sure seems to be coming on really f......................"

And then that great blissful, no nothing feeling for the rest of the day. I wish I could fell like that everyday.

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
an STD?

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
terry b said:
Like root canals, another one of those scary things that turn out to be not so bad. Especially when you consider the alternative.

I love the drugs, "Gee, this sure seems to be coming on really f......................"

And then that great blissful, no nothing feeling for the rest of the day. I wish I could fell like that everyday.

This time they're going in from the top as well. Which, according to them, means more drugs.

joe

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,901 Posts
I was hoping it was gonna be H&B.

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
terry b said:

Yeah, Versed is a wonder drug...the amnesic effect is something else......people say all kinds of whacked out sh*t once we give it to them, but they don't remember anything later. It's pretty cool.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DrSmile said:
I was hoping it was gonna be H&B.

Well, I will be getting violated and be on heavy drugs. That's gotta count for something.

joe

·
Registered
99 Posts
Pardon my ignorance but what is that? Is that something you drink for preventative colon cleaning?

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LouisVuitton said:
Pardon my ignorance but what is that? Is that something you drink for preventative colon cleaning?

It's a few bottles of laxative which is supposed to clean me out for my colonoscopy on the 27th.

The 26th: no food at all, drink three bottles of laxative throughout the day, plus two pills at night. Poop like you've never pooped before.

Go to the doctor, they give you some gnarly drugs and shove a tube down my throat and up my bum to check and make sure that there's nothing growing inside me that shouldn't be there.

joe

·
Genitive Declensioner
12,146 Posts
JoeDaddio said:
It's a few bottles of laxative which is supposed to clean me out for my colonoscopy on the 27th.
on the plus side, at least it's lemon flavored, throw in a shot or three of vodka and bingo.

/ good luck!

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,123 Posts
Let's hope it's not too much magnesium.

We ALL know how badly that can turn out.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
JoeDaddio said:

The 26th: no food at all, drink three bottles of laxative throughout the day, plus two pills at night. Poop like you've never pooped before.

Go to the doctor, they give you some gnarly drugs and shove a tube down my throat and up my bum to check and make sure that there's nothing growing inside me that shouldn't be there.

joe

Post Pix:) Seriously, good for you Joe.....a lot of people would put it off or ignore it completely....

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have taken that stuff, please stay close to the bathroom - you will be amazed at what is about to come out of your ... ummmm you will be surprised... please post pics...

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
violent eruptions to ensue! hope all turns out well for ya.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts