Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe I have Guitar Acquisition Syndrome...aka G.A.S Stopped at the local guitar dealer last week and just had to have this Taylor Mini Koa. I started shaking as I put the guitar down and told the salesman that I would think about it. Went back and purchased the other day. Back up to 4 guitars now. :blush2: The dog house was not too bad and have worked my way into the basement. I am sure some of the Lounge might not have G.A.S but maybe B.A.S Bike Acquisition Syndrome....and can relate.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
I believe I have Guitar Acquisition Syndrome...aka G.A.S Stopped at the local guitar dealer last week and just had to have this Taylor Mini Koa. I started shaking as I put the guitar down and told the salesman that I would think about it. Went back and purchased the other day. Back up to 4 guitars now. :blush2: The dog house was not too bad and have worked my way into the basement. I am sure some of the Lounge might not have G.A.S but maybe B.A.S Bike Acquisition Syndrome....and can relate.
I honestly can't tell you how many I own. It's in the high teens, I quit counting, but I haven't purchased in years

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,283 Posts
I had a buddy who collected nothing other than G&L electric guitars. Had maybe a dozen of them. He actually went to the factory in Fullerton a couple times. Guy could barely play.

As for me and Sogno, we're now at six acoustic guitars. We've thinned the herd of electric guistars from who knows how many to two. Gotta add the pair of banjos, the dobro, the three fiddles, the sax and the upright piano. Have I forgotten something? Probably. Love them instruments...

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I managed to get down to two Teles and a Strat. The bikes went a bit out of control last year though--somewhere in the mid-teens right now and I just got in line for a Rock Lobster. :blush2:

·
Registered
675 Posts
atp...high teens for guitars? Man, I'm jealous. I am at six. One drum kit, a bass and just picked up keyboard. Not super proficient at anything other than guitar, but enjoy them all. Actually, I suck at drums.

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,152 Posts
Ah, let's see:
-Green parts-based Strat build...mostly Squier level, but souped-up electric bits
-Black parts-based Tele build...Am. Std. level, mahogany body, 50's Nocaster "tribute"
-Sunburst shop-brand Tele...first complete electric I bought; kind of a cool, working-man's stage instrument
-Peavey Briarwood acoustic...first guitar ever; really nice laminate top
-Recording King Dirty 30's parlor...solid top, has a few structural issues, but still sounds fantasmic
-Rebuilt Ibanez GAS-70...sort of a Les Paul knockoff; stripped down to bare wood, refinished, and rebuilt
-Recording King lap steel...a nice lap steell

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
you know the routine. pics or it didn't happen.

btw I have GAS, BAS, and RCAS

I'm actually down to three guitars, only one of which (Breedlove acoustic) I play on a regular basis. My 5120 Electromatic gets played often enough and my Les Paul sits in the closet but that's getting passed down to whichever kid decides to play the guitar. I've had that one for 30 years now.

·
Banned
Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Lemond Etape
2,299 Posts
you know the routine. pics or it didn't happen.

btw I have GAS, BAS, and RCAS

I'm actually down to three guitars, only one of which (Breedlove acoustic) I play on a regular basis. My 5120 Electromatic gets played often enough and my Les Paul sits in the closet but that's getting passed down to whichever kid decides to play the guitar. I've had that one for 30 years now.
Hi, Dad! I'm your long-lost son! I play! Well, I would if I had a decent slab of wood....

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I've had serious boughts of G.A.S myself. It got so bad that I stopped buying them, and started making my own :D

At last count, I had 23 guitars that were fully finished and playable, and probably three or four more in various states of incompleteness. Of the 23, seven or eight are store bought, the rest I put together myself. Some acoustics and some electrics. I can throw together a fender strat/tele style guitar in a couple of weekends, assuming I'm not doing the finishing (I don't spray finish - i leave that to professionals :p )

I haven't spent much time with them for a couple of years. Lately cycling is taking up most of my time.

Here is a flickr album of my favorite. This is sort of the last guitar I'll ever need kind of thing (as far as acoustics go). Once I finished this one, I really lost interest in building any more...
https://flic.kr/s/aHsjpxdKin

Here are some random pictures from my guitar cave.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,283 Posts
Everybody, congrats on your collections. I feel your madness. Migen -- lots of nice wood. Are you going to scallop those top braces? atp -- open a guitar store. And oh yeah. I forgot the Les Paul and the two ukuleles (one a rare, handed-down-the generations, 1930's Martin).

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
That picture is about 7 years old. It was my first attempt at an acoustic guitar. The cross braces eventually got scalloped, but they were still too heavy. The top was also too thick (beginner mistakes). I eventually routed the top off of it and rebuilt it. It's much better now... but I never play that guitar. The newer ones are much much better. =)

Here are some scalloped braces for you (this is the top I made for the dreadnaught in the pics above. It's still not my best work. That would be the concert jumbo in the flickr album I linked.

·
disgruntled pigskin fan
3,224 Posts
Only 2 acoustics for me. A cedar Seagull I bought in high school (still remember the day I brought it home from the shop) and a rosewood Larrivee I bought a few years back. Love to play them both.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
I'm probably somewhere in the 30s with guitars and basses. Prior to getting married and having kids, overtime was a little abundant. I chuckle at the idea that most guys like me are just collectors who can't play.

Not in a band at the moment. Haven't been able to find guys who can play that aren't planning a world tour (if they ever get out of the basement). A lame dad like me isn't allowed.

FWIW, racers have treated me way better than bands.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
atp...high teens for guitars? Man, I'm jealous. I am at six. One drum kit, a bass and just picked up keyboard. Not super proficient at anything other than guitar, but enjoy them all. Actually, I suck at drums.
as a working professional for over a decade buying guitars was the equivalent of a carpenter buying tools. I started buying / selling around 16. Most of my guitars are vintage, a majority of them Gibsons with some Nationals, Guilds, etc.. in the Mix. I own no Fenders , used to, but never liked the feel/sound of them. I prefer guitars with glued in necks. My 2 'touring' guitars were PRS's, I was an early convert and wound up with a minor endorsement so I guess they are both vintage now as well.

quickly off the top of my head
1928 National Tenor Tri Plate.
1940s Dobro, Spanish Neck Duolian, all metal body
1950s National Lap Steel
1940s Harmony Cremona
1947 Gibson L-5
1950s Frankenguitar Harmony Sovereign Body with Gibson J200 Neck and Tailpiece
Early 1950's National 1100 Arch Top
1955 Gibson ES 225T
1950s Guild Stratford 350 (my guess is 1953)
1961 Gibson Les Paul SG Standard - PAFs
1962 Gibson ES 335 - Block Inlay Trapeze Tailpiece - Wrong Patent PUs
1967 Rickenbacker 366 Roger McGuinn 12
Mid 60s Mosrite Celebrity III
70s Sigma 12 String
1985 PRS Custom 10 Top
1986 PRS Signature
Maccaferi Knock Off
Yamaha Classical

that's most of them, I may have forgot a couple

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
I have never been able to bond with the lower radius of a Fender. I usually have to raise the action a lot higher than I normally use and my left hand gets very unhappy with me. I also can't handle a neck that needs the neck removed to make truss rod ajustments. Humidity is all over the place in the midwest.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
That's like saying you don't like a certain bike brand because of the wheels that one of their bikes comes with. You don't have to remove the neck to adjust the truss rod on all Fenders. There are many different styles of truss rods over the years. Some adjust at the nut, some you only have to remove the pick guard, and others (mostly older vintage stuff) the neck does have to come off. But truss rod adjustments shouldn't be needed frequently. If that is happening, you might consider that the humidity/temperature you are storing the guitar in is not stable.

The beauty of a Fender strat/tele is that the neck is removable and interchangeable. You can put whatever you want on it.

Just as one possibilty, Warmoth sells licensed aftermarket necks from 10 degree to sixteen degree radius, and you can get them in vintage, modern, or combinations.
Most people that don't like the fender style usually complain about the longer scale length (I have long arms, so not an issue). However, you can buy conversion necks now too, and basically have the same effective scale length that Gibson uses (24 3/4").

Another complaint people have is the 'thin' neck profile most Fenders have. But again, with aftermarket replacements, you can have pretty much any neck profile you want. I have tried the SRV asymmetrical and Clapton V shaped profiles, and in fact have the SRV on a replica of David Gilmour's red strat.

They are also available in varying widths and tapers. It's really quite cool all the stuff you can do to a Fender bolt on neck guitar these days.

Here is Warmoth's Strat neck page. It's fun to dig around in there and read all of the available options.
Warmoth Custom Guitar Parts - Stratocaster® Replacement Necks - Choose Construction

Here is the red Gilmourish strat. It's not an exact replica. I like experimenting with things, so the bridge is different, and the neck is obviously not the same as his (it doesn't currently have this neck on it. It's got a vintage tint SRV profile neck), but the general aesthetic and electronics are identical. Of course it sounds terrible when I play it (as compared to him), but it looks nice hanging on the wall. =

·
Quiet, daddy's drinking
5,887 Posts
Buckeye biker how does the Seagull play? Is the sound thick or bright? What about action?

I too suffer from GAS. I have five store bought (PRS, Heritage, Ibanez, Yamaha, Epiphone) and three I have made myself. The itch hits me every spring.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts