Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What songs motivated you, what songs did you hear, and say DAM*, I have to learn how to play that...that guitarist just rocked my world..for me they were:

1. Eruption- Heard it and about fell out of my chair, had to learn it....still play it once in awhile to goof off.

2.Little Wing(SRV's Version)-More soulful then anything else I had heard at that point, had to learn it.

3.Paranoid(Live Version by Randy Rhoads)-Made me want to bow down to the master...wow.

4.Hellion/Electric Eye-AWESOME, had to learn it immediately...

5.Master of Puppets-Again, rocked my world and changed my entire view of guitar.

6.Hallowed be thy Name-probably the finest dual guitar playing in unison I have ever heard, made me realize just how important harmonizing with your fellow guitar players was.

What about you guys?

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
Back in the day they were:

Steve Howe, The Clap
Jorma Kaukonen: Water Song and Hesitation Blues
Norman Blake: Randall Collins
Duane Allman: Little Martha
Brian Jones: Prodigal Son
Rev. Gary Davis: I Will Do My Last Singing In This World Somewhere

I never mastered any of these except Little Martha, but I sure tried.

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
physasst said:
What songs motivated you, what songs did you hear, and say DAM*, I have to learn how to play that...that guitarist just rocked my world..for me they were:

1. Eruption- Heard it and about fell out of my chair, had to learn it....still play it once in awhile to goof off.

2.Little Wing(SRV's Version)-More soulful then anything else I had heard at that point, had to learn it.

3.Paranoid(Live Version by Randy Rhoads)-Made me want to bow down to the master...wow.

4.Hellion/Electric Eye-AWESOME, had to learn it immediately...

5.Master of Puppets-Again, rocked my world and changed my entire view of guitar.

6.Hallowed be thy Name-probably the finest dual guitar playing in unison I have ever heard, made me realize just how important harmonizing with your fellow guitar players was.

What about you guys?

1) As corny as it sounds, Fade to Black changed my life. I was never into metal or wanted to play until I heard that song. My life would be completely different now had I never heard it.

2) Chinatown by Thin Lizzy always blew my mind. My wrist hurts thinking about playing it.

3) Creeping Death. Yeah Baby!

4) Bad Boys (Whitesnake). Love Sykes, love his sound, love the speed on that tune.

5) Bloodbath in Paradise (Ozzy) my favorite Zakk tune to play.

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
KenB said:
1) As corny as it sounds, Fade to Black changed my life. I was never into metal or wanted to play until I heard that song. My life would be completely different now had I never heard it.

2) Chinatown by Thin Lizzy always blew my mind. My wrist hurts thinking about playing it.

3) Creeping Death. Yeah Baby!

4) Bad Boys (Whitesnake). Love Sykes, love his sound, love the speed on that tune.

5) Bloodbath in Paradise (Ozzy) my favorite Zakk tune to play.

Have to agree with you on Fade, that song changed my life too, I still play it almost every time I pick up the guitar.

·
What the Hell is going on
5,155 Posts
The Kingsmen

The ultimate garage band song to cut your guitar teeth on: Louie-Louie!!!!

These songs were also instrumental in my ham fisted guitar approach to playing guitar:

Chuck Berry's "Johnny B. Good"
Anything by Bo Diddley!!
AC/DC "You Shook Me All Night Long"

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
I loved Little Wing, both versions. I used to play the Jimi version. I could actually do Eruption at one point, but not that well.

I can't even begin tell you how many time I've played Master of Puppets. I learned the whole thing, including both solos. I've played that song maybe 1,000 times.

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Scotty2Hotty said:
I loved Little Wing, both versions. I used to play the Jimi version. I could actually do Eruption at one point, but not that well.

I can't even begin tell you how many time I've played Master of Puppets. I learned the whole thing, including both solos. I've played that song maybe 1,000 times.

There's more than two, didn't Jimi, Clapton, Sting, SRV all do versions....also, Yellow Ledbetter by Pearl Jam is simply a very minimally altered version of Little Wing, great song.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Little Wing - SRV and Jimi
Cliffs of Dover - Eric Johnson
Always With Me, Always With You - Joe Satriani
Top Gun Anthem - Steve Stevens

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
Jeeze, all you metal heads! I started playing in 1974, when I was in the 4th grade. Mom listened to John Denver a lot, so I thought "Rocky Mountain High" was a pretty damn good song, and I was determined to learn it. (I still think it's a great song.) My dad listened to Jim Croce, and that guy could play, too. Eventually, when I heard The Beatles, that changed everything. "I Feel Fine" stands out as a song I had to learn. The first album I ever bought was Cheap Trick and Budakon, and I learned most of it. Fast forward a few years and U2 shows up. I learned pretty much every song and every part they did. Same for the Police.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,285 Posts
What made me want to play guitar?
The Byrds - Bells of Rhymney and Eight Miles High.
Every single Clapton solo on side one of Fresh Cream.
Clapton's Spoonful on Wheels of Fire (which I like much more than everybody's usual choice on that record, Crossroads).
Rolling Stones - Spider and the Fly.
Donovan - Colors and Catch the Wind.
Bob Dylan - Oxford Town.
Pete Townshend's acoustic guitar work on Tommy.
James Gurley's solo on Ball and Chain from Big Brother's Cheap Thrills.
Jeff Beck's solo on the Yardbirds' Happenings Ten Years Time Ago.
I was well into playing guitar by then, but Jimmy Page's solos on the first Led Zeppelin album tore me limb from limb. They still do. The same goes for Mick Ronson's solos on the Bowie albums Ziggy Stardust and Aladdin Sane.
Hendrix? Yeah I love him. But I can't call him an influence. He didn't make me want to play. My favorites? The two Voodoo Chile's on Electric Ladyland.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
I'll chime in as the first bass player:

The band that inspired me to pick up a bass was Primus. Les Claypool is a madman. "Too Many Puppies" is a pretty easy Primus song, and was the first one of theirs I learned all the way through. Then it was "John the Fisherman", which is also friggin amazing.

CAKE's version of I "Will Survive" also got me going. One of my favoirte lines to this day, and a song that I warm up with every time I pick up my bass. Up So Close by CAKE is also a great song, with a great groove.

The Meters' "Cissy Strut" is another favorite of mine, and one that I constantly play. They're a great band, and don't get too much play.

And I usually yield to The Who's "Happy Jack" when I find a drummer willing to take up the task. Great song, which requires a madman of a drummer to pull off right. But when it's done... amazing.

joe

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
probably #1 for me is Neil Young. Everything from grungy distorted solos on the electric to mellow acoustic. Not technically the best, but he plays with a lot of soul.

Other influences--Andy Gill of Gang of 4, Richard Lloyd of Television, Bob Mould of Husker Du, Will Sargent of Echo and Bunnymen, Richard Thompson, Johnny Marr w/ Smiths.

As a kid I was a metalhead...Ace Frehley of Kiss, Randy Rhodes with Ozzy.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
hmmmmm

Detroit Rock City is what started the ball rollin'
Sabbath and Hendrix is what made me wanna play
then it was Michael Schenker in his UFO era. the first truly melodic rock guitarist who went waaay beyond the blues
Then I found Beck (Blow by Blow, wired era) and the Mahavishnu Orchestra, which sent me to John Mc and Carlos's 'A Love Supreme' and Robert Fripp (No *****footing and the solo on Eno's 'Baby's on Fire'

Then Punk/Newe Wave Hit. Too many to name in a short while.

Then I found Fripp and Belew.

·
Government Mule
1,326 Posts
Wildwood Flower....Was messin around with Townes Van Zandt's Tower Song this morning.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
yes I actually saw them live

got to hang out with Mr.Fripp himself. Was crazy as he had a group of guys playing these fast runs but each guy was playing a single note out of every cluster. so it was 3 guys playing 1 note out of every triplet. crazy.

·
Anphaque II
6,176 Posts
Back in the day they were:

Steve Howe, The Clap
Jorma Kaukonen: Water Song and Hesitation Blues
Norman Blake: Randall Collins
Duane Allman: Little Martha
Brian Jones: Prodigal Son
Rev. Gary Davis: I Will Do My Last Singing In This World Somewhere

I never mastered any of these except Little Martha, but I sure tried.

Good selection :thumbsup: !

·
Covfefe
21,317 Posts
I'll chime in as the first bass player:

The band that inspired me to pick up a bass was Primus. Les Claypool is a madman. "Too Many Puppies" is a pretty easy Primus song, and was the first one of theirs I learned all the way through. Then it was "John the Fisherman", which is also friggin amazing.

CAKE's version of I "Will Survive" also got me going. One of my favoirte lines to this day, and a song that I warm up with every time I pick up my bass. Up So Close by CAKE is also a great song, with a great groove.

The Meters' "Cissy Strut" is another favorite of mine, and one that I constantly play. They're a great band, and don't get too much play.

And I usually yield to The Who's "Happy Jack" when I find a drummer willing to take up the task. Great song, which requires a madman of a drummer to pull off right. But when it's done... amazing.

joe

I'm a big big fan of Entwistle's playing on A Quick One and The Who Sell Out in general.

Other favorites:

James Jamerson - Motown Records

Tracy Pew - The Birthday Party

Algy Ward - The Saints and The Damed on Machine Gun Etiquette

Jah Wobble - Public Image Ltd.

John Paul Jones - Can't remember the name of the band

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.