Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I lost my chain and crashed my bike. Went over the bars and banged up my forearm pretty good. Stills hurts.

Well now I am gun shy. When I ride I find myself slowing down on downhills. I commute on a very old commuter and when I am going over 22 mph or so I think something terrible is going to happen. Like the front wheel is just going to fall off. I feel much better on my new Trek...
Has anybody experienced something like this after a crash...??

· Registered
14,776 Posts
I think everybody has

Muaythaibike said:
LWell now I am gun shy.
Has anybody experienced something like this after a crash...??
All I can suggest is to take good care with bike maintenance, and try to ease back gradually into feeling confident. It's okay to take it a little slower for a while.

How exactly did your crash happen? What do you mean by "lost my chain"?

· Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My rear derailer needs adjustment. I was approaching a hill in my area and I quickly dropped to the lowest gear and started to stand to get up the hill. Well the chain completely fell off and got caught in the frame or something. PEDALS FROZE. Right over the bars.. Ouch.

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
It's normal.

· Registered
2,771 Posts
some get on their horse right away like nothing happened. Most find themselves holding the reins a bit. Some never get it back. The key is to get back on the horse and work through the aprehension.

"bones heal, chicks dig scars and America has the best daredevil to doctor ratio anywhere"

· I am no Guide
571 Posts
Loosing the edge after a crash is pretty normal.

I Mountain bike, and I suffered a bad crash near the beginning of season (about three years ago). I found it took the better part of that entire season to get my nerve back again...

It will most likely come back as the wounds heal, and the memory fades, but I think it is perfectly normal to be a bit timid right now.

Good Luck!

A

· Registered
162 Posts
And for the love of god, get that derailleur adjusted.

It takes time. If you didn't display any kind of caution, or evidence of being affected, and no ability to learn anything from such things, then you should worry. Stick with it, give yourself time.

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
A perfectly normal response. We don't like pain, and when something causes us pain, we try to avoid that. Usually the more pain, the more avoidance. Be gentle with yourself. Your confidence will eventually come back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.